1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Which extra curricular days/weeks would you have?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by rolf33, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Our school always seems to be missing out on country wide events or 'focus' weeks, so we've decided to plan the coming year's activities in advance.
    We have things such as 'Anti bullying week' and One World Week', and a big Olympic focus in the Summer of course, but I was wondering what other school will be doing this year (that is if anyone can think past the summer!)
    Are yours the same every year? How often do you have them? Are there any which are better than others? Do you plan for them as a school or are they 'delegated' to the appropriate subject leader (if there is one)?
    Any advice would be apprecitated.

2. I forgot all about book week - duh! I love these weeks too. The children really seem to get excited about them if we manage to let them know in advance!
    Thanks

3. Thanks Marlin, you're always so helpful!
    Do you try to keep to your usual timetable and fit the theme in where appropriate or do you change the whole week? I'm not sure how much our head would go for that.

4. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

We went off timetable for some of the week and did activities in rotation - that way you could have an expert in for the day and everyone takes turns to experience the activity led by the expert.
    (That's a very wordy sentence! Sorry - can't think of a more succinct way to say it on a Friday night!)

5. Makes perfect sense; I read sentences 5 times longer than this every day![​IMG]

6. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

We had a problem solving week this year. Went really well too.
    The head allowed us to go off timetable as much or little as we wanted.
    We usually have an International Week. It is my favourite time of the year. Each class picks a country and does a whole week based around their choice. This year it isn't on though [​IMG], so I'm going to do my own mini-topic based on the World.

7. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

We have a themed week every year. Recently we've had: Art Week, Eco Week, Science Week, International Week.
    Lovely in theory, but the way it's organised is quite horrendous. The year groups collapse, forming "classes" of 30 children from YR up to Y6, who rotate around the different teachers, doing an hour and a half or so with each.
    The upside is that you only have to plan and resource one lesson for the whole week.
    The downsides are having to teach something accessible to children from 4 to 11, and the fact that by the time you're teaching the same lesson for the 5th or 6th time, you're starting to lose the will to live.
    HT claims "the children love it" though, and so it stays....

8. Milgod

Of course they love it. Children usually love less structure, moving around constantly from class to class would be exciting to them. Doesn't mean it's good though! Sounds like it would be a nightmare.

Should we do everything children love all the time? I slipped over at cricket club yesterday, taking the wickets out with me. The children found this hilarious. I don't plan on doing it every year though.

9. LOL! I'm laughing and I wasn't even there! Have you thought of a 'clown/acrobat' week? The kids would love that.[​IMG]

International week sounds good. When you swap classes do you hope to have an end product?

10. Milgod

To be fair it was rather funning. The wickets really went flying.

In my school we don't swap classes for International week (which I prefer). Each class just looks at one country. There might be a presentation to the rest of the school/parents at the end of the week. We look at everything and anything really. Music, food, sports, traditions, clothing etc.

11. We always have some kind of 'environmental' themed week which changes each year..I think it's based on a certain organisation, but unsure which one.