1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Which exam tier?

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by Soloyo, Apr 4, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Soloyo

Soloyo New commenter

Hi all,
    I use Edexcel for Spanish GCSE, and am just wondering if anyone else is struggling to decide which tier to enter students into for the listening and reading exams this year? Last year I entered my "safe" Cs into Foundation, where thanks to the high boundary they dropped down to Ds and even Es, but my Higher students fell victim to the "1 point = 1 grade" debacle. This year's group is pretty able but I do have some borderliners there I would normally be tempted to put into Foundation.
    Any advice gratefully received,
    Soloyo

2. aferraby

aferraby New commenter

Good point, and no I don't have any good response. We simply going to be using 1 paper per week in April and early May to take a measure each week of their progress, and then decide on H/F as late as possible. Meanwhile we might sneak the odd re-do on a CA to bump their grade up slightly more.. if they do indeed do better this time!

3. jt15

jt15 New commenter

My advice to colleagues is to go with your gut feeling every time. With the best will in the world, thinking things through logically and tactically is not always necessarily going to give the best outcome for the child. Maybe check with the kids themselves about what they feel most comfortable with. And whatever decisions we make, it will be the wrong decision for at least a few kids. But that's life unfortunately!