1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Which exam board?

Discussion in 'English' started by CandysDog, Sep 3, 2012.

1. CandysDog

CandysDog Established commenter

It's sort of true. WJEC were the only board to release notional grade boundaries (recognisably based on their old spec). The final grade boundaries were very close to these (no more than a couple of marks out). Their exam grade boundaries didn't leap up between January and June, either.

Of course, there's no guarantee that it'll be like this next time.

Having said that, I would definitely recommend them. Get yourself booked on one of their courses and check them out.

2. sunflower48

sunflower48 New commenter

Been pleased with WJEC, was with them prior to new syllabus and stayed with them. I don't like the Shakespeare/poetry controlled assessment but happy with rest. Exams seem fair at C/D level but have also gained many hisar higher tier this time. Results were near to what I predicted even though I will send some back for a remark. Grade boundary issues that other colleagues have experienced don't seem to have materialised with WJEC as there a no major jumps in marks. I have been more than happy with WJEC in answering queries I have had either by email or telephone, even checking a long term plan for the current Y10 and the Y9 starting at the end of Y9.
    Not sure of other centres who use WJEC but my experience with them is positive.

3. We introduced the Cambridge iGCSE two years ago and have just received our results: our percentage A*-C has risen by 20% and we have not been affected by the results scandal. The syllabus is simple to follow and has no controlled assessment which is a bonus. 40% written coursework, 20% speaking and listening coursework and 40% in the exam. The exam is simple to deliver and teach, and requires directed writing, analysis of language and summary. Although all students have to sit the literature in order for their language grade to count, that can't be a bad thing. As a result of introducing Cambridge, our school is now above national average and our boys are doing as well as the girls.

4. <u>NOT Edexcel!</u>

We have had issue after issue with this exam board. Although AQA are getting bad press for the grade boundaries, Edexcel have done exactly the same thing. I'm not sure how they've avoided the headlines, presumabley because AQA is the most popular board.

Edexcel English raised their Unit 2 - Writer's Craft (40%) C grade boundary by 9 marks and Unit 3 - Creative English (40%) C grade boundary by 9 marks. Pupils who in January 2012 and even June 2011 would have got good strong C grades were now scraping for a D. They also altered the D and E grade boundary making them on average 5 or 6 marks higher. This resulted in so many C/D borderline kids and also D/E borderline kids not able to get into their chosen colleges or apprenticeships. Way to demoralise a cohort and encourage them to rely on benefits.

5. Will echo what others have said about WJEC. Only problem my school seems to be having with WJEC - for the last 4 years or so - is that we can't raise our proportion of A*/A students. Very good with the C/D borderline. Strongly recommend the support from the board, and, as someone else has said, get yourself booked on a course to find out more. You won't regret the move.

6. Thanks for all the advice. Will certainly look seriously at welsh board.