1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Which exam board is this???

Discussion in 'Music' started by dominant_tonic, Feb 12, 2012.

1. dominant_tonic

dominant_tonic Established commenter

Hi all.
    A pupil from a different school whom I know through church, has asked me to help her with her composing and listening for GCSE music.
    The music dept at her school is being insppected in a fortnight, and her teacher has kept all their folders until then(!). Consequently she doesn't know which exam board it is. She has just done her mock paper and failed, gaining 111 other A*s, As and Bs. This seems to be a regular feature at the school, with one oxbridge candidate getting straight A* and a C in music. Consequently I think her concerns are well founded, though I have obviously not said this, and I would like to help her if I can.
    It would be good to be able to make a start now (half term), just to set her mind at rest.
    I have looked at the exam specs, and can't work out which board she is sitting. I thought WJEC but on closer look not.
    This is what I know.
    3 Elements.
    performing
    listening - encompassing reggae
    composing
    • 2 compositions
    • 1 of which can be film music, blues or a pop song.
    Scant info I know, but if anyone knows which board this is, please let me know. I know it should be obvious from looking at the specs, but it seems it could fit inot any, so I thoughemployed teachers would probably be able to guess.
    If not, until after half term it is.
    Thanks, domton.

2. dominant_tonic

Hi all.
    A pupil from a different school whom I know through church, has asked me to help her with her composing and listening for GCSE music.
    The music dept at her school is being insppected in a fortnight, and her teacher has kept all their folders until then(!). Consequently she doesn't know which exam board it is. She has just done her mock paper and failed, gaining 111 other A*s, As and Bs. This seems to be a regular feature at the school, with one oxbridge candidate getting straight A* and a C in music. Consequently I think her concerns are well founded, though I have obviously not said this, and I would like to help her if I can.
    It would be good to be able to make a start now (half term), just to set her mind at rest.
    I have looked at the exam specs, and can't work out which board she is sitting. I thought WJEC but on closer look not.
    This is what I know.
    3 Elements.
    performing
    listening - encompassing reggae
    composing
    • 2 compositions
    • 1 of which can be film music, blues or a pop song.
    Scant info I know, but if anyone knows which board this is, please let me know. I know it should be obvious from looking at the specs, but it seems it could fit inot any, so I thoughemployed teachers would probably be able to guess.
    If not, until after half term it is.
    Thanks, domton.

3. it's not WJEC or Edexcel going on the Reggae element. Possibly AQA, OCR or something like the Cambs IGCSE.

4. dominant_tonic

Thanks for that.At least narrows it down a bit.Like I say, the best way forward is just to wait until next week, but she is so concerned bless her.
    OCR I had not thought of will check it out. Thanks :)

5. Hmmmm...it doesn't sound like OCR. I teach it but have never taught reggae as part of the listening. The new spec asks for a listening paper, including dance music as well as ensembles such as Jazz, African a cappella singing and baroque and Classical chamber music. There is a 30 minute Creative Task where the student creates a piece of music from a given stimulus. Two performances - one solo and one group. Also two compositions, one can be based on one of the musical areas taught for the listening paper and one should be inspired by one of your chosen performances. So, one of my students will be performing 'All that Jazz' and so his composition is in the same style. You also only get a set amount of hours in which to write your composition and have to produce a log. I hope that is helpful!

6. dominant_tonic

It is indeedy. Thanks very much. You are right, it does not sound like what she has described at all. Will have a look at AQA and see if I can make any sense fo the spec.
    Thanks all, most helpful :)

7. Reading it through again, I can see that it might fit OCR, film music is one of the areas of study and you can compose for it, I'm just a bit concerned that your student doesn't have more information! Now I'm totally confused - the mention of reggae has really thrown me. Does she know about the creative task? If in Y10 she may not have been told but Y11 are due to be doing this imminently!

8. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I'm doing AQA and it sounds like what I'm doing...

9. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

My guess is that it is AQA. Blues, Pop Music of the 1960s and Film Music are all among the suggestions of music to study for Popular Music of the 20th and 21st centuries - and this is one of the three strands to which one of the compositions must be linked.
    However, I'd look carefully at the specification: it is basically a four-unit spec, not three, and I don't see where reggae would fit in.

10. ineedsleep

ineedsleep New commenter

Hi
    AQA unit 2 composition has to link to the strand 'Popular Song' so it is probably this syllabus. However ther composition doesn't actually have to be a pop song, just link to it through the areas of study. Check the syllabus, it's quite clear.
    As for listening encompassing reggae - Caribbean music is on the syllabus so reggae could come up!
    INS