1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Which exam board for GCSE French or Spanish?

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by rachellebedford, Oct 12, 2011.

1. After a disappointing summer of exam results with Edexcel I am seriously thinking of changing exam boards. Does anyone have any advice? My main issue with Edexcel has been the marking of the writing assessment and their complete lack of organisation and information. Are any other boards better?

2. spsmith45

spsmith45 New commenter

You will have followed the AQA thread, so do not expect higher writing marks with them. I believe the AQA had a higher percentage of A* grades (12.9%) as opposed to the 10.5 ish for all boards together, but AQA are the most popular board by far for MFL.

At GCSE they are, I reckon, much of a muchness. More variability at A-Level.

All the boards had the 60% Speaking and Writing CA foisted upon them.

3. We sent back 19 French scripts and 13 Spanish scripts: only 2 went up.

Today I wrote to the chief examiner at AQA expressing my disgust in the strongest possible terms withdrawing our business for this and future years. I will not allow these 'immortals' to make a fool out of me and my dept team ever again.

We have moved to the IGCSE.

Paul Howard
    HOD
    MTBS, Crosby

4. I had been following all the threads and AQA was not top of my list.

I am thinking of wjec but wanted more feedback.... Are they just the same?

I also read the other discussion about gcse with no controlled assessment which sounds tempting!