1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Which Exam Board? Food and Textiles.

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by KnitandStitch, Jun 3, 2012.

1. KnitandStitch

KnitandStitch New commenter

Dear All,
    I am the Food and Textiles teacher at a new school in North London. We are starting to think about which exam boards to use in just over a years time, when our students reach GCSE level.
    I have not had much experience of teaching at GCSE level since my training and therefore I do not really know what the different boards are like.
    I have had a quick look at the specifications for both Food and Textiles from AQA, OCR and Edexcel and it is difficult to tell which one would be the best. We have a number of lower attaining students so I am also interested in the WJEC Catering and Food Studies courses.
    I would really appreciate hearing all opinions of these exam boards. What are the main differences between them? What kind of students are they suitable for? I know my questions are very broad, I am not sure what I'm looking for!
    Thank you in advance for any advice you are able to give :)

2. KnitandStitch

Dear All,
    I am the Food and Textiles teacher at a new school in North London. We are starting to think about which exam boards to use in just over a years time, when our students reach GCSE level.
    I have not had much experience of teaching at GCSE level since my training and therefore I do not really know what the different boards are like.
    I have had a quick look at the specifications for both Food and Textiles from AQA, OCR and Edexcel and it is difficult to tell which one would be the best. We have a number of lower attaining students so I am also interested in the WJEC Catering and Food Studies courses.
    I would really appreciate hearing all opinions of these exam boards. What are the main differences between them? What kind of students are they suitable for? I know my questions are very broad, I am not sure what I'm looking for!
    Thank you in advance for any advice you are able to give :)

3. finamar

finamar New commenter

I have only used AQA for textiles and find it a good option but have nothing to compare it with.
    For food we used to do AQA as well but did not like the focus on 'designing' food and so a couple of years ago we changed to WJEC Hospitality and Catering and have found it much better: results have increased and it seems to suit out students better.
    The H & C course offers the making skills our students enjoy; it is great for the less able but can also challenge the more able. It can be a double or single award.

4. KnitandStitch

Hi Finamar,
    Thank you very much for your feedback, it sounds like the WJEC course could be good for our students too. Although some of them do like designing they can get a bit bored of the whole process and they all love the practicals!
    Best wishes