1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Which European nation do you think, has the best cookers?

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by modelmaker, Apr 13, 2011.

1. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

I don't pretend to be extensively travelled throughout Europe. A fair time in France, a number of Spanish trips and occasional visits to Belgium, Austria and Switzerland, plus 4 Greek holidays.
    Accepting that the cooking provision in self-catering accomodation isn't going to be the best you will possibly get, and unrepresentative of what the indiginous population would aspire to, I have in moments of boredom whilst my wife checks out the clothes and trinkets she can buy overseas spent time looking at cooking utensils etc.
    I have probably gained a lop-sided vision, but it seems to me, from what I've seen, our continental cousins have much to learn on what constitutes a decent cooker. In our current house is a particularly useless German hob and oven. I can't imagine what was in the mind of the designers, or for that, in whoever bought and fitted it. It's a constant juggling act to get the pans to stay on the hobs and stop the hob bits from skidding around. For the oven, there is a switch with about 10 settings. Nobody has so far been able to discover what the various icons refer to, just the one that looks like a fan and gets the oven hot.
    It breaks my heart that in our garage there is an excellent, British, solid, gas and electric range cooker I shalln't be able to use until we either move of tear out this fitted kitchen.

2. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

I don't pretend to be extensively travelled throughout Europe. A fair time in France, a number of Spanish trips and occasional visits to Belgium, Austria and Switzerland, plus 4 Greek holidays.
    Accepting that the cooking provision in self-catering accomodation isn't going to be the best you will possibly get, and unrepresentative of what the indiginous population would aspire to, I have in moments of boredom whilst my wife checks out the clothes and trinkets she can buy overseas spent time looking at cooking utensils etc.
    I have probably gained a lop-sided vision, but it seems to me, from what I've seen, our continental cousins have much to learn on what constitutes a decent cooker. In our current house is a particularly useless German hob and oven. I can't imagine what was in the mind of the designers, or for that, in whoever bought and fitted it. It's a constant juggling act to get the pans to stay on the hobs and stop the hob bits from skidding around. For the oven, there is a switch with about 10 settings. Nobody has so far been able to discover what the various icons refer to, just the one that looks like a fan and gets the oven hot.
    It breaks my heart that in our garage there is an excellent, British, solid, gas and electric range cooker I shalln't be able to use until we either move of tear out this fitted kitchen.

3. Can't relate your experience with the German cooker - I would never buy anything else! Nothing skids around! Totally easy to use.
    I find British cookers odd - my step-dad has to explain it to me every single time. Knobs here, knobs there, strange symbols, two things you have to switch on instead of one...totally confusing.
    I don't think you can make a competition out of it - each country will have its quirks and norms. Although I have managed in every country in Europe without thinking, whereas in the UK, I have to think, think, think.

4. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I use an Aga....................just brilliant! It's part of the family [​IMG]

5. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

They may be easy to use but I hated having the grill in the oven, one was so bad that it took 5 hours to cook jacket potatoes. I hated them and was pleased to leave Germany and come home.
    I now have a Hotpoint double oven and a Baumatic gas, 5 burner hob.

6. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I do also have a double electric oven (hardly used, use Aga almost exclusively) and an induction hob.....which is fantastic. Took a bit of getting used to but wouldn't go back to anything else now.

7. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Dunno about which is the best, but in last house we had a Neff gas hob and double oven, and in this one everything is Bosch. All have been excellent. So, the Germans have our vote, it seems.