1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Which day for staff meeting?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by MrsMusgrove, May 27, 2016.

1. MrsMusgrove

MrsMusgrove New commenter

I'm just wondering if there are one or two days which are most common for holding staff meetings? My school is a Wednesay. When do others hold their weekly meetings?

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Every school I've ever worked in did them on a Monday. Fresh for the week I suppose?

3. summlard

summlard New commenter

Tuesday's for my school

4. applesauced

applesauced New commenter

*passive aggressive grammar shudder*

Wednesdays at my school.

asnac and southernteacher like this.
  5. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

We alternate between two days, as we have a number of part-time teachers and we wouldn't want any of them to miss out on the joyous wonder of a staff meeting.

We currently alternate between Mondays and Thursdays. Of the two of them, I'm generally in more of a bad mood on the Mondays than the Thursdays.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

That's a great idea to alternate. Means part-timers can at least have some chance of knowing what's going on. I must admit I was not a fan of Mondays either. ;)

7. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

Every school I've worked in it's been Wednesdays. (Can I just point it Apple autocorrects this this Wednesday's ...grrrr!!) most part timers work Wednesdays I've found.

8. applesauced

applesauced New commenter

I honestly despise myself sometimes.

I don't mind a Wednesday meeting. I'd probably prefer a fortnightly meeting, or even monthly! Having said that, I thoroughly enjoyed our staff meeting this week.

9. summlard

summlard New commenter

Argh! The apostrophe was added via autocorrect. Honest!

10. summlard

summlard New commenter

Argh, the apostrophe was added via autocorrect. Honest!

11. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

We used to have a weekly diary meeting as well, so the 'business' side of meetings didn't overtake the other stuff. At first they wanted it at lunchtimes but everyone refused. Then it was shunted to quarter past eight in the morning on a Wednesday. An utter waste of time as everything was sent through on an email anyway, when you could have spent the time getting your lessons ready. If you had duties/assembly/lunch club etc on that day, you were b*ggered. When we were given the chance to "choose one thing that you would like to bin", the vote was unanimous.

I really don't like meetings. I see their value but there is a lot of time-wasting in the vast majority of them. I used to work in finance and the company I worked for did all of its meetings standing up. It's amazing how quickly people get to the point and come to a decision when they're not sitting down.

asnac and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  12. whitestag

whitestag Senior commenter

It used to be Mondays for us, which I hated. It meant we were already all cheesed off for the rest of the week after being told how rubbish we all were on the first day of the week.

Now it's Wednesdays due to part time members of staff all being in on that day. I hate it then, too. Just a chance for the head to find fault with the teachers and moan about parents.

Ironic that you're being moaned about for not filling in pointless paperwork throughly enough, when you could be doing just that rather than sitting in the staff room having your time systematically wasted.

I've started to just plan my tea or plan my holidays in meetings.

13. cassandramark2

cassandramark2 Established commenter

Wednesdays for me. Previous schools were all Mondays. I prefer midweek!

14. Envyemerald

Envyemerald New commenter

Wednesdays. We are gradually reducing the 'business' side of things which is a step in the right direction!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  15. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Wednesdays for us though I try to keep them to a minimum.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  16. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Thursdays in my place.

Almost all business stuff.
    E.G.
    We are emailed a draft of the diary for the following week, have the draft printed and handed round at the meeting, the draft is read to us in the meeting, then the final version emailed to us again.

SUCH a fab use of our time.

17. Isobeleh

Isobeleh New commenter

We alternate between Tuesdays and Thursdays for the 'benefit' of part-time staff every term or so.

18. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

We used to have ours on Mondays, which I liked as it got all the crap over with early on in the week. Then it was moved to Tuesday, so that SLT could have their meeting on Monday, create more crap for us to do, and then tell us all about it on Tuesday.

19. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

Mondays. which i think is the worst day to tie teachers down lots to do for the coming week and listening to someone spout on about stuff you already know is pointless. I hate morning meetings even more.
    I do think the first thing on the agenda each and every time should be "this meeting will cost us £? per hour to pay for all of you to sit here. So if what we are about to discuss is not worth that huge amount of money, we will all adjourn and go and do something ore useful instead."
    interestingly, when I was hourly paid on supply, schools never required my attendance at either meetings or INSET

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  20. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

We have Monday one week then Wednesday the next though this can change.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.