1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Which cross curricular topics have worked well for you?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Jools1808, May 29, 2011.

1. My new school is changing their curriculum to be topic based. I am attending an INSET day to help plan the topics which we will cover and have been asked to bring some ideas with me of cross curricular learning which has been particularly successful.
    I am currently doing a topic on the rainforest, which I'm really looking forward to pushing as well as an Invaders and settlers/Romans topic as they have worked well in a cross curricular way for me, but I thought it might be worthwhile asking people on here if there have been any particular topics which you've done and have worked well in a cross curricular way?
    Lots of minds are better than one and I'd love to hear about really successful topics :)

2. My new school is changing their curriculum to be topic based. I am attending an INSET day to help plan the topics which we will cover and have been asked to bring some ideas with me of cross curricular learning which has been particularly successful.
    I am currently doing a topic on the rainforest, which I'm really looking forward to pushing as well as an Invaders and settlers/Romans topic as they have worked well in a cross curricular way for me, but I thought it might be worthwhile asking people on here if there have been any particular topics which you've done and have worked well in a cross curricular way?
    Lots of minds are better than one and I'd love to hear about really successful topics :)

3. Hi, I'm part of the curriculum development team for my school who are just getting to grips with the theme approach, so we're still at the excited, "anything's possible" stage! Our main focus is on trips and visits to hook the children and parents in, so a settlement theme lends itself really well - shelter building, residential visits, Roman settlements in the locality, design your own settlement on Earth, under water, in space etc.
    This then leads to other ideas such as "under the sea", schools now, in the past, in the future and around the world, etc. The key thing to remember is that any idea, as long as it's broad enough will lend itself brilliantly to cross curricular teaching. Have a focus in mind, e.g. I want to build their ICT skills or their knowledge of the local area, or their research skills and the best topics will just come flowing.
    The best thing i did was to ask my class what they would find out if anything was possible - the results were startling to say the least!
    Good luck with it!

4. greta444

greta444 New commenter

ww2 is always great, the 1960's, space, you do need a local area study, these have been our best topics.

5. takethatno1fan

takethatno1fan New commenter

I used The Egyptians as a theme with my Y2/3s a couple of years ago and they absolutely loved it. We visited the Egyptian collection at the Manchester Museum, children choreographed and performed their own Egyptian dance, they worked in groups to design and produce their own life sized sarcophoguses on paper which were displayed, they produced their own advertising posters for the pyramids using ICT, wrote postcards home after their 'visit' to the pyramids, and loads of other activities. It was really successful.

6. My year 1 class are loving our castles topic at the moment. They're even bringing in things from home and doing extra work without being asked.
    They also really enjoyed our 'going wild' topic based around Kenya

7. shipwrecked. used myst and pirates and a visit to studland bay.

8. sara2323

sara2323 New commenter

We did a dinosaurs topic in Autumn which was really successful. Initially I felt that it maybe difficult to engage the girls however they all really enjoyed it. We tried to include as many subjects and felt that the topic was idealto do this.