1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Which countries can I travel to using my driving licence instead of my passport?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by pastychucker, Nov 24, 2009.

1. I went to Dublin using my driving licence instead of my (out of date) passport.
    Can I travel any where else using my driving licence?
    Or does anyone know where I can find out?

2. I went to Dublin using my driving licence instead of my (out of date) passport.
    Can I travel any where else using my driving licence?
    Or does anyone know where I can find out?

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I find that UK immigration tend to want you to have a passport when you return. Ireland doesn't count - you needed the photo id for the airline, not UK immigration.

4. I don't think so becasue the UK didn;t sign up to the full Schengen agreement, to relax border controls, that most of Europe agreed to.

5. I think you can go to Scotland and Wales [​IMG]

6. I don't think so becasue the UK didn;t sign up to the full Schengen agreement, to relax border controls, that most of Europe agreed to.
    Given the almost open borders with which we greet refugees and foreign scroungers alike, I find that depressingly ironic.

7. I had thought that under the freedom of movement of people principles of the EU, any EU member can visit any EU state without requiring a passport? And indeed work there.

8. chicabonita

chicabonita New commenter

Yes, they can if their state signed the Schengen agreement to open borders (as MAJ said). You can do that if you're already in France/Spain/Germany etc, but the UK didn't sign up to Schengen and so to enter this country, you need to have a valid passport.

9. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

its a good job we didnt, have you realise how many more immigrants would arrive on false documentation.......i say we should let less in...and id sooner keep my passport than allow easy access.........one of the few good things this PM of ours has kept!

10. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

In fact, as the Uk did not sign the Schengen agreement, at least some (it may be all, but I haven't travelled to many of them) of those who have signed Schengen still require sight of a British passport if you travel to them from the UK.
    Such countries route 'non-schengen' flights through a separate part of the airport, for example.