1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Which Christmas song is most likely to make you realise Christmas is upon us?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by modelmaker, Dec 12, 2011.

1. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

Imagine the scenario: You have been in a coma for 6 months and are gradually coming out of it. You have no sense of time yet but a song you hear on the hospital radio makes you realise it's obviously Christmas. What would it be?
    I think that for me, it would probably be Stop the Cavalry but I can't really say why.

2. modelmaker

Imagine the scenario: You have been in a coma for 6 months and are gradually coming out of it. You have no sense of time yet but a song you hear on the hospital radio makes you realise it's obviously Christmas. What would it be?
    I think that for me, it would probably be Stop the Cavalry but I can't really say why.

3. bizent

bizent Star commenter

The Fairytale of New York

4. A personal song-"Santa" because I wrote it and it was played/performed in school every Christmas for about the remaining 15 years I was at that school. (And it has been played on the local radio) Now it has been heard worldwide on the internet-so far NZ, Africa, North America. -Youtube "Santa mtytst1"

5. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Same here, it is the most incredible Christmas song and one I love hearing every year.

6. lrw22

lrw22 Occasional commenter

I couldn't agree more. It's the best Christmas song and the Christmas season doesn't begin until I've heard it on the radio. That said, there used to be an irish theme type pub near me with a tendency to play it in July!

7. EcoLady

EcoLady New commenter

I am delighted to report that 200 PGCE Primary students at Cambridge gave a very rousing rendition of this at the end of term on Friday!

8. Got to be "I'm dreaming of a white Christmas". Or anything by Bing!

9. blazer

blazer Star commenter

It would be Slade for me.

10. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

Christmas Time - Don't Let The Bells End. a fine Darkness song, and parts of the video are very very fine indeed. RIP the slutpants... in pre-Darkness days, it would have been Slade.

11. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

Walking in the air.

12. blazer

blazer Star commenter

You wish! LOL

13. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Surely any Christmas Song is going to make you realise that Christmas is upon us. I mean which Christmas Song wouldn't make you think it was Christmas? Are there some subtly disguised subliminal Christmas Songs out there that I've not yet heard about?

If I was in a coma I think anything by Cliff Richard would be most likely to get a reaction from me. I'd instinctively leap out of my hospital bed, tear it out of the CD player and stick it in the bed pan.

14. modelmaker

Who remembers the one that goes ting, de dah-de-dah, ting, de dah-de-dah, "It's Christmas time, there's no need to be afraid..."?
    I looked it up on youtube just now http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-w-CmCCF7k and couldn't believe how young they all all looked and just how old they now make me feel. I could only recognise the main singists at the beginning and I'm presuming one of them was Boy George.

15. I love Christmas and Christmas songs ('Fairytale of New York' is my favourite), but what makes the difference for me is when my gumpy Scrooge-like father (I'm living with my parents whilst I do my PGCE) starts playing the album 'We Three Kings' by the Reverend Horton Heat. Upbeat punky Christmas stuff, and it means that the festive season is definitely here if even he's given in!

16. the evil tokoloshe

the evil tokoloshe New commenter

Two possibilities - Slade or Wizzard

My favourite is 'Fairytale..' But I can tear up to that at any time of year because it's not just the greatest Xmas song but possibly the best song ever written::

Oh I wish it could be Christmas every daaaa-ayyyy etc

17. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

18. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

19. It was Christmas Eve 1975 my mate Steve and I , both 16 year old jack the lads , thought we would do a pub crawl in town. The two songs that were on all the juke boxes were...
    I Believe in Father Christmas and Bohemian Rhapsody.....
    Hearing either of those always reminds of Christmas.

20. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

i just remembered all the phil spector ones.