1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Which Christianity?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by MAGAorMIGA, Oct 21, 2018.

1. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

As an atheist non-Christian, I am frankly puzzled by the true nature of the Christian religion. Is it a loving, inclusive, forgiving religion; or an intolerant, aggressive one full of vitriol and hatred? The Trump-supporting Jerry Falwellesque one of the Deep South of the USA looks an awful lot like the latter, but every Christian I know is the former. Why is this?

2. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Because they're descended from the religious extremists that Europe booted out in the 16th and 17th centuries?

Maybe too simplistic a definition, but I'm sure your average extremist could relate to that. :)

monicabilongame and MAGAorMIGA like this.
  3. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Who exactly do you mean?

woollani likes this.
  4. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

The deep south slave state bible bashers, descended from those whose views were too extreme for their home countries in 16th - 17th century Europe so they took to the high seas, headed west and set up plantations. Like I say, a simplistic notion.

5. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

The answer's pretty simple (though really hard to do):
    "Love one another, as I have loved you."
    "Love God with all your heart (etc) and love your neighbour as yourself."
    "God loved the world so much that he gave his only Son...."

I too - as a Christian (who often fails) - struggle to reconcile this with the beliefs, words and actions of some 'Christians.' :(

Why do they believe, behave & act as you've described? I wish I knew.
    I don't think it's necessarily to do with being conservative & fundamentalist in their beliefs, because I can think of many Christian churches here in the UK whose members are much more fundamentalist than most 'mainstream' churches - yet they are probably the most pro-active in, for example, helping drug addicts, the homeless, the marginalised, refugees, etc, without condemnation or judgement.

6. Timothy_Blue

Timothy_Blue Lead commenter

Well said !

nomad likes this.
  7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Except that most of the Puritanical lot ended up settling in the northern New England states while the southern states were more the domain of aristocratic investors looking to make money off of tobacco, cotton etc.

What we now consider the liberal enlightened parts of the USA, the north east, are the descendants of those ''bible bashers''.

JohnJCazorla and woollani like this.
  8. notrevlim

notrevlim Established commenter

I observed as the patient in the bed opposite me was ‘annointed’ With holy oil brought in by members of the Catholic Church he attended. I have no doubt that these people were acting for what they thought was the best, but underneath is a huge exploitative business selling every kind of potion and snake oil.

It’s not about religion, it’s about profit.

Ivartheboneless likes this.
  9. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

Chris Hedges' book "American Fascists: The Christian Right and the War on America" is a fantastic read about this subject.

10. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

I think the difference comes from those who live by the spirit and those who live by the letter of the law. I know folks who can quote chapter and verse but have little or no understanding of love and support.

As I wrote in another thread that I take little or no notice of the rules of the Catholic church as the rule were not written for the benefit of women.

Lara mfl 05, Orkrider2, nomad and 4 others like this.
  11. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

There is no answer we'd understand. It's all part of God's Unfathomable Plan.

12. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

There is only the CoI when discussing Christianity.

13. vinnie24

vinnie24 Lead commenter

Because they don't really believe it of course. None of you do.

14. theworm123

theworm123 Lead commenter

It’s much easier to define in terms of how ‘moral’ people think they are.

15. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

As an atheist, to me religion, especially of the organised variety, is just politics under another name.

Ivartheboneless likes this.
  16. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

Couldn't the same be said of any religion? Or any group? Even if you don't believe in a religion, surely you believe in the 'Placebo' effect?
    Some argue it has brought more good than bad. When we stop believing in a god, we don't believe in nothing...

17. numberoneteacher

numberoneteacher New commenter

Maybe you should read the Bible to get your answers.

18. notrevlim

notrevlim Established commenter

Which one?

19. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

Presumably you meant Leviticus 20:9

"For every one that curseth his father or his mother shall be surely put to death: he hath cursed his father or his mother; his blood shall be upon him."

I think that answers the original question quite nicely.

20. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

There's a Christian congregation to suit most tastes!

My preference is Anglican. High Church though. Book of Common Prayer. King James Bible. Proper sung psalms with pointing. A proper choir. Robes.

That's what I was used to as a kid. I was paid to be in the choir! And my village church is pretty fab. Great acoustic. I worked my way up to playing the organ too.

I was an absolute atheist though. The whole time. But it was something to do in my teens. Got me out of the (hated) house. I love the ritual, the certainty, the fine words.

My actual belief? Er, Jesus was a good bloke with his heart in the right place and well done him! Also most people do strive to be good. There is perhaps some innate sense of goodness??? Or, at the very least, we must surely have evolved to do better together in strong groups than competing individually for resources so we "ought" to be good. Depends when you ask me really.

Churchgoers span the usual range of good, bad and merely indifferent.

[​IMG]

peter12171 likes this.