1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Which car?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by ballerina, Aug 11, 2011.

1. ballerina

ballerina New commenter

I have managed to save for a new car (well a year or two old at least), which is some feat with a new baby. I'm thinking something small - low tax, insurance, emissions etc, what do you recommend/drive yourself?
    Bx

2. ballerina

ballerina New commenter

I have managed to save for a new car (well a year or two old at least), which is some feat with a new baby. I'm thinking something small - low tax, insurance, emissions etc, what do you recommend/drive yourself?
    Bx

3. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

4. ballerina

ballerina New commenter

about £6000 to £9000

5. I love my new Fiesta. If you are buying can you buy in the next couple of weeks? I had mine all sorted to collect on 1 September last year. They then phoned me and said if I registered it in August they would give me 450 off. I imagine there will be similar bargains around now.

6. I just got a new Suzuki Swift. No VAT so was almost £2000 less already. It's a great car and with my budget and trading in my new car I managed to get the top spec one with push button start, climate control, bluetooth etc although the mid spec one which is £1000 cheaper had everything. Am very pleased with my purchase. Oh and tax is free first year, £30 then on and since getting it a couple of weeks ago it has been averaging at 49mpg which is pretty good.

7. MayKasahara

MayKasahara New commenter

8. inq

inq

I love my i10, £20 tax, 50+ to the gallon.

9. harsh-but-fair

I was going to suggest a Citroen C1/Peugeot 107/Toyota Aygo (all effectively the same car), but I wonder if she is would be better off with a fourdoor car if she has small children?

10. inq

inq

i10 is 4 door.

11. harsh-but-fair

Indeed it is - it might suit the OP well

12. polly2

polly2 New commenter

I would stay well away from French cars - my citroen c3 was four years old with 16000 on the clock when I got rid of her last month. I had nothing but trouble with it! My first vauxhall was great and so far (fingers crossed) my new vauxhall is running ok too!

13. ballerina

ballerina New commenter

I must admit i do like those! I know the 107also comes in 5 door

14. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

I adore my 500. The Fiesta was nice to drive though but I wanted something more fun :) x

15. harsh-but-fair

My experience has been different; sorry you had a bad time with yours.

16. I just got a new Suzuki Swift. No VAT so was almost £2000 less already (deal will end before the new plate though). It's a great car and with my budget and trading in my new car I managed to get the top spec one with push button start, climate control, bluetooth etc although the mid spec one which is £1000 cheaper had everything. Am very pleased with my purchase. Oh and tax is free first year, £30 then on and since getting it a couple of weeks ago it has been averaging at 49mpg which is pretty good.

17. sorry, it kept saying error so I didn't think it had posted before.

18. I think it would be better to list ALL the features, insurance group, doors etc. that are important to you and then do a search on Autotrader to see what is available close to you to see what's available. I did a quick search using your price criteria and up to one year old and I was very surprised at what could be had for 6k-7k. Then I would be doing a bit of research on running costs, reliability and so on before whittling it down a short list to go and try out.

19. inq

inq

Also worth checking the NCAP safety ratings.

20. Msz

Msz Established commenter

i love my 500 too it's retro and quirky [​IMG]