1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Which camcorder / camera?

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by evilmonkey, Apr 26, 2012.

1. evilmonkey

evilmonkey New commenter

I'm looking to buy a set of camcorders (probably of the flip kind) for some basic movie making projects (and the CA in the Exedcel GCSE). It's not something I'm hugely interested in outside of school and I find the compatibility issues with files formats, codec etc. frustrating. Having said that I don't want to burden the pupils with my hangups, so want to get them using the kit.
    Are there any recommendations for a reasonable camcorder which outputs a widely compatible file?
    I had originally been thinking about Flip's (or clones of), but am I missing a trick? Could I get a reasonable still digital camera with a movie mode? Is the qualty of flips to standard camera's movie modes comparible?
    Or is there a 3rd option I should be thinking about. Budget wise, I would say £100 a pop would be the limit (I'd like a decent set).

Any advice on this would be great.

Ta

2. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

Samsung HMX-T10
    Far better than any flip novelty camera and o your budget

3. evilmonkey

evilmonkey New commenter

I'm repeating this as I don't want to appear argumentative, but I am truly ignorant of camcorders. What advantages would this give me / the kids over something like the flip?

4. djphillips1408

IME picture quality and audio are far better, disad - you need to use a cable to connect to the pc (that's about it)

5. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I'd go down the digital still camera with good video capability route every time, especially if the camera allows you to zoom in and out in video mode. That way you get two types of camera for the price of one. However, if they don't use standard AA-type batteries, makes sure you have some spare batteries charged up and ready.

Also invest in some tripods, around £14 each in Aldi from time to time.

.AVI file output should be useful. Also bear in mind file size when editing - not all school networks can cope with much above 640 x 480 pixels.

6. I'd forget about camcorders altogether. why not buy ipod touches. HD video, and affordable software to edit it with, built in cloud sharing and it's an introduction to handheld learning too. Also you will not need to buy dictaphones or audio recorders for podcasting.

7. djphillips1408

Excuse my ignorance but how do you edit the footage taken from an iPod touch?

8. djphillips1408

Ok that was a rhetorical question I know your best answer is iMovie, which brings me on to this morning's rant, cos I feel like one. Why are so many people espousing the virtues of apple products to solve everything within education. The idea of using iMovie to teach kids how to film edit is an insult to what they are capable of. Where's the multiple audio and video layers, where's the ability to keyframe text of graphics over the top, where's the ability to chromakey? There is nothing on apple at this moment in time that enables us to teach kids *proper* skills when it comes to film making, not the sort of thing you can do with Premiere Elements or MoviePlus, and trust me you can teach those skills within the hour quite easily. I am just getting tired of this dumbed down "this app will solve everything" drivel that I see on twitter and is starting to emerge on here. I own iPad/iPhone/iPod and they are fabulous tools, but they ain't the right tool for film making and I would wager it will be another 5 years before any sort of all in one handheld device will be able to let me teach useful skills to my students. Until then I think I will do the decent thing and teach the kids to do a lot more than the simple offering of IMovie

9. No brainer.
    After a weeek of investigating I bought 2 of these. *** proof, ridiculously robust, battery lasts great, palm size, auto uploading online, great film quality, good low light.....) All for less than a hundred quid from PC World.
    Liked them so much bought the wife one. (I'm a bit of a hobby photographer as well re DSLR's so I'm pretty picky)
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004MMF7RI/ref=asc_df_B004MMF7RI7619766?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&tag=hydra0b-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22206&creativeASIN=B004MMF7RI&hvpos=1o1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=18085879181621165801&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=
    (Had to add the following - the asterixed word above is actually idi0t. (??????))

10. Just read Mr Phillips posting......
    ditto