1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Which browser on school computers?

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by mlapworth, Apr 23, 2012.

1. mlapworth

mlapworth Occasional commenter

Which browser (and version if ie) is being used on your school computers?
    I'm not asking which is best or which you would recommend. I'm working on something web-based and I'm just wondering how far back to go with compatability...

2. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

3. mlapworth

Ta very much. [​IMG]

4. IE6, Chrome, FF, Safari - different combinations in different rooms.

5. mlapworth

Is there a reason schools are still using ie6?

6. With certain websites, it works where others don't. Mostly websites that have been fixed to work with IE6. Some people refuse to abandon Win2k for the same reason - basically protection from Microsoft playing silly bu**ers.
    If you are thinking of something like TaskMagic/HTML your target list is something like -
    • IE6
    • IE7/8
    • IE9/10 (all these are different)
    • IE7..8 in Quirks and Standard mode. (yes, IE is fun, and there's another one later)
    • Firefox
    • Chrome
    • Opera (normal)
    • Safari iMac
    • Android tablet browser
    • Safari iOS (e.g. iPhone, iPodTouch, iPad) (not the same)
    • Windows Phone 7 Internet Explorer (based on IE9 OTOMH)
    • And possibly Opera Mini (does server side Javascript. Depends how complex what you want to do is. Probably couldn't handle taskmagic type apps.
    (you may want to check Konqueror and Epiphany as well. Not much Linux use in schools and there's Firefox/Linux but they will probably work straight off).
    ... I have 11 taskbar icons and 5 of them are browsers. Dropping a nuke on Redmond would improve browser compatibility by 95%.

7. I would think a few primaries might still use IE6 where they do not have/use a technician and no software updates are done. I would hazard a guess that IE6 is the least of their problems...

8. mlapworth

I doubt I'll be going as far as that - there is so much in TaskMagic...
    Thanks for the long list of browsers...
    I'd be happy if I could just work on compatability with firefox, chrome, opera, safari, iOS and ie8+
    Are many secondary schools using IE pre version 8, do you think?

9. You could do it ; obviously a complete rewrite :) Except the sound on Safari is unfortunately impossible in HTML5, because it's tied to a browser event - so if you make sound in response to an event, it only works if the sound fires within a short time of the event. :(
    I would add Android compatibility as well, because I think that's mostly Chrome code - and it gives you all the tablets and Android Phones. IME there's no real work involved in this, 99% of the cross browser issues are IE. The only real problem I have with Android tablets (apart from speed) is the rather odd screen shape (1024x600 displays on 10.2")
    A few. IE7 isn't so bad, but IE6 is horrible ; not only is it dead slow, but it seems to come in different varieties depending on .... I don't know what. Sometimes opacity works, sometimes it doesn't depending on the implementation even when both machines are 'up to date', supposedly.
    IE8+ still has wierd bugs. I found one today, if you create a DIV as a rectangle the size is affected by the border of the container it is in. Put an 8px border on the container and the DIV is 8 pixels out in width or height. Ridiculous :)