1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Which Brexiter saw this one coming?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Feb 20, 2020.

1. ajrowing

ajrowing Lead commenter

By Gove I've found it. Sound the bells. The search is over, I am delighted to say.

https://www.ifs.org.uk/

A reputable think thank (is there actually such a thing?) thinks that the budget will raise borrowing significantly which is clearly great news. This would be a marked change in macroeconomic policy and perhaps not allowed by the CSRs. And we only have to wait until the budget to find out whether this liberating change is indeed how our new found freedoms will be used.

(I accept that it is not definitive, as it would be if Boris or his many Chancellors had actually told us already perhaps in their manifesto what their policy would be, but I think it will do).

Burndenpark likes this.
  2. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Yet the manifesto stated that the Tories would not borrow to fund day today spending and we would only spend what we can afford. We can afford to invest in HS2 and 100 billion on new and improved roads and other infrastructure.

Kandahar and alex_teccy like this.
  3. burajda

burajda Star commenter

So for any spend on top of the commitment to prudent 'borrowing to invest' it will be interesting to see where the money comes from - increased borrowing or increased taxes or increased austerity or a carefully sound bite orchestrated attempt to balance all three to fool the voters as the manifesto pledges are actually ditched. Who knows, there could be pensions and property raid on London and the SE and wealthy pensioners, a rise in fuel duty won't go down well in the Red Wall.

Burndenpark and alex_teccy like this.
  4. alex_teccy

alex_teccy Lead commenter

I never said they did say that.

5. alex_teccy

My guess is borrowing- as you say I don’t think increased taxes will go down well with core voters.

6. alex_teccy

Well thank you for doing some research and proving what I’ve been arguing for quite some time. I must admit though, that it has been painful for me to watch you crawl to the conclusion many of us arrived at quite some time ago.

7. ajrowing

ajrowing Lead commenter

So when you said

You didn't mean to say that you had found anything about Boris Johnson that related to how policy would be different after the CSRs, which is the question that you don't want to answer, but think it really easy to find the answer to.

I am going to reluctantly conclude that there is no evidence that anything will be different now we are free of the CSRs and that that is probably because we weren't really following the CSRs anyway, or that they just said what the government was going to do in any case.

monicabilongame and Burndenpark like this.
  8. ajrowing

ajrowing Lead commenter

Yesterday morning you were vehemently denying that being free of the CSRs would change anything.

Do try and keep on top of what you are posting about.

Burndenpark likes this.
  9. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

I did get information from someone with a legal background, so I am pretty sure their interpretation is correct. It makes sense to me but not to you I guess.

ajrowing likes this.
  10. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

Clearly not since they are still being discussed. That you are still on the back foot shows that the only thing you proved was that the CSRs have been ignored by the UK's government over many years without any consequences at all.

Not really what I said, but strawmen are always easier to knock down.
    I mostly checked the things you posted and often found that you'd omitted details which threw a very different light on them. For example what you posted as proof that we were going to join the Euro- turned out to be us not wanting the Euro to fail since it would take the pound with it. What you said was the EU managing our economy turned out to be them recommending things like build more houses, train more people and improve your infrastructure.
    Now if there really were any posts in which you actually did prove something - please could you direct me to them, since clearly I missed them first time around.

I'm arguing that the CSRs were only ever recommendations. That they were never an issue, and certainly weren't the EU running the UK through the back door forcing us to do things against either the wishes of the electorate or our national interests.

Now back to your claim about the EU being an "economic disaster zone" is there any data to support that which doesn't show the USA to be one too?

ajrowing and Stiltskin like this.
  11. Burndenpark

It's almost as if the CSRs only exist to feed conspiracy trolls who play them up to be something sinister about how the unelected alien, lizard men, and even a few foreigners who run the EU are controlling the world.

ajrowing likes this.
  12. Kandahar

Kandahar Lead commenter

Did you check her credentials?

13. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

His. And no, for the same reason people don't generally check the credentials of a doctor they go to see.

14. Kandahar

Kandahar Lead commenter

I do as it happens. It's quite surprising that even with credentials, that a doctor can be quite useless - and sometimes outright dangerous.

border_walker and alex_teccy like this.
  15. alex_teccy

Well you are wrong, you have always been wrong. You’re basing your entire understanding of how the EU operates on how you think a single word is used.

The EU has an economic policy which member states follow as part of their requirement for being members. You might not like it, but there it is.

16. alex_teccy

Maybe you and the two other EU denialist ought to tootle of the Brussels and inform them that the treaty basis for the EU is only a recommendation and that your mate is a legal expert.

I’m sure they’ll pack up the whole thing and go home.

Seriously, what are you trying to argue here?

17. alex_teccy

They exist and form part of how the EU directs macroeconomic policy for member nations.
    It’s only the flat-earth types that keep pretending other-wise.

18. alex_teccy

The cognitive-dissonance is painful to watch. I’ve been stuck in this discussion with these types since I mentioned CSRs once.
    They simply cannot believe that their beloved EU could be responsible for policies that might have a negative impact on people. It’s far-out.

19. Burndenpark

Strange that so far the only way you have been able to "prove" that is by using partial quotes and misdirection. When the full quotes are found they always seem to show otherwise don't they?

I wonder why it is you are always so shy about giving full quotes of links to the exact document that you claim to be representing?

No one has said they don't exist.
    Strange that the Leave campaign made so little of them if they are so controlling isn't it?

ajrowing likes this.
  20. alex_teccy

Partial quotes ? Such as the CSRs themselves retrieved from the EU website?

Or this graphic showing countries in Excessive Deficit Proceedures in 2015 again from the EU website?
    B2A44CA7-346E-4332-8797-7CEFF7B7BE22.jpeg

Go ahead arguing against reality!

Kandahar likes this.