1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Which Brexiter saw this one coming?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Feb 20, 2020.

1. alex_teccy

alex_teccy Lead commenter

No, because I never made the argument you’re putting into my mouth.

If you’re genuinely interested in the topic go and find out for yourself and contribute something to the forum.

Kandahar likes this.
  2. ajrowing

ajrowing Lead commenter

You never argued that I should go away and search for something for myself rather than you answering a simple question?

Ok. I shall be away for the rest of the day searching for the answer to how the government's macroeconomic policy has changed since December 2019. I will be back when I have the answer.

3. alex_teccy

Let’s see then.

4. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

Could you direct me to those posts- I seem to have missed them.

Yes- they are, as are the detailed ones, you only ever seem to give links to the library, never to the document, and when ever the document is found it proves to be something other than you claim.
    For example- you never mention that we have been repeatedly recommended to build more houses, train more people and improve our infrastructure- you always ignore the fact that year after year those same recommendations have been made.
    If we were following the recommendations the same ones wouldn't keep appearing would they?
    So clearly we are seldom if ever doing as recommended are we?

It clearly doesn't mean that we are forced to follow the CSR's you ran away from that one. Then had problems because you didn't know what "obliged" means.

To either follow the recommendations or not.

No- local political decisions ruined Southern Europe- just like local political decisions ruined industrial towns in the UK. You aren't complaining that the EU should have had more control are you?

Pro- EU meaning something less than Pro-EU, usually being highly critical and using the EU and abetted by the British press blaming the EU for things we chose to do.
    Yes we did join the ERM- and after crashing out we clearly dismissed ideas of joining the Euro.
    The documents you partially posted explain why we had an interest in the Euro succeeding while staying outside it.

Data please?
    Does this mean that you also consider the USA to be an "economic disaster zone" to? If so why have you and your fellow Brexiteers been championing the idea of Brexit from one "economic disaster zone" so that we can become tied to another "economic disaster zone"?

Do I really need to go through all those posts of yours where your only form of defence is to misspell the other person's name?

ajrowing likes this.
  5. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

Just think how your posts must make the rest of us feel then.

6. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

‘US’, it was definitely about our money, our fishing waters, our market, it was also about the Franco Germanic cooperative society.

7. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

If there's a god, there will be no answer.

8. alex_teccy

I’m not holding my breath.

Kandahar likes this.
  9. alex_teccy

There were two long threads on CSRs so they’ve been done to death. You were around for both, although Stiltskin did most of the heavy lifting on “your” side- posting government documents etc, so I don’t know why you think you don’t know where they are.

But more to the point. What are you arguing? That members join the EU and Euro, only to ignore the economic policies that make it possible to operate? Do you realise how daft that sounds?

Kandahar likes this.
  10. ajrowing

ajrowing Lead commenter

Research is going well. Although I am surprised that you are hoping there is no answer, cos that would mean that I had proved your buddy wrong.

11. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

Indeed. It will come back with more tedious questions - in the vain hope, that like me, you decide to get on and do those equally monotonous jobs around the house instead.

alex_teccy likes this.
  12. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

The UK never joined the Euro - by virtue of that they were not legally obligated to follow any EU recommendations of how to manage our economics (as said in the Westminster document and the EU treaty links I provided). Members who had joined the Euro are legally obligated.

Burndenpark likes this.
  13. alex_teccy

Can you give us an example of a treaty that is not legally binding?

14. ajrowing

ajrowing Lead commenter

Research was going well, but I have hit a series of deadends. So far I have search high and low (and behind the sofa) for any utterances by Boris Johnson or his Chancellors on how they intend to change macroeconomic policy, and what a curse it has been previously having to follow the CSRS, but I haven't found any.

So I decided to pursue a different line of enquiry and have started to look for any evidence of the Leave campaign saying anything about them, but so far it seems that they were more interested in fish, posters with immigrants who were not from the EU and make belief amounts of money for the NHS.

Tomorrow is another day however, and I am confident that when i resume my search the overwhelming evidence will suddenly come before me.

monicabilongame and Burndenpark like this.
  15. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

As pointed out under protocol 15 to the treaties the UK is exempt from the requirement to avoid excessive government defecits and any sanctions from not following EU recommendations
    - as it's that which is written in the treaty, it is that that is legally binding. (i think I posted about what the legal definition of endeavour was - which allows the UK to consider is own interests above that of the EU)

Burndenpark likes this.
  16. alex_teccy

You could not have been looking very hard. I searched “Boris Johnson economist policy borrowing” and came up with multiple results. Took me all of a few seconds.

Kandahar likes this.
  17. alex_teccy

Absolutely incorrect. The opt outs in section 15 have no effect on the legality of our erstwhile commitments are in regards to the treaties.
    In any case, your point his highly irrelevant because U.K. governments until now, never considered U.K. interests as dectrete from EU economic policy. The policy document you yourself posted in round 2 said as much

18. alex_teccy

Proved me wrong about what? For the umpteenth time of telling you I never once claimed to know how policy might differ once we left the EU.

Suffice to say, the U.K. government has made it clear that convergence with EU rules is not on the table...

Kandahar likes this.
  19. ajrowing

ajrowing Lead commenter

I am very glad that you have clarified that you think it perfectly possible that policy may be the same once we are free of the CSRs. In which case one might assume that the CSRs made little or no difference when we were following them.

20. ajrowing

ajrowing Lead commenter

That's amazing. You are a genius. Strangely when I put “Boris Johnson economist policy borrowing” into my favorite search engine in didn't turn up any results. Boris Johnson economist policy borrowing does turn up a lot of results did you mean you had searched for that? All the results seem to be commentary on what his policy might be, but I can't see any comments from the great man himself.
    I also thought it prudent to search for Boris Johnson economic policy borrowing as well, but that just turns up a similar collection of speculation.

Perhaps you could help me by posting an example of one of the many results you found quoting Boris Johnson saying how economic policy from that dictated by the CSRs?