1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Which Brexiter saw this one coming?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Feb 20, 2020.

1. alex_teccy

alex_teccy Lead commenter

"problem spots"

ha ha ha ha ha!

Kandahar likes this.
  2. Kandahar

Kandahar Lead commenter

The best laugh I've had all decade. My best commendations to Mr Park.

alex_teccy likes this.
  3. Kandahar

Kandahar Lead commenter

I believe Google do that regardless. Your personal data is still as safe as before.

border_walker likes this.
  4. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

How strange - both of you picked up on that, but ignored the clear evidence that the EU is continuing a pattern of growth both for GDP and per capita GDP- which clearly contradicts the "economic-disaster zone" claim- now was that said because those words (along with so many more) are beyond your comprehension or because you really don't know what you are talking about economically?

You also ignored the evidence of movements in some North American states to break away from that union- any reason?

As to the idea that in a collection of areas all will be doing well all the time- The USA has some "problem spots"
    https://qz.com/1695758/which-us-states-have-had-a-recession-recently/

That you are economically illiterate is really not doubted by any but for yourselves- the sad thing is that you spout your nonsense unaware that it's nonsense.

5. moscowbore

moscowbore Lead commenter

No it is not.

Google can legally sell your data onto third parties without your consent in the US.

monicabilongame likes this.
  6. Kandahar

Kandahar Lead commenter

I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'data' here. If you mean the search questions you ask Google. or your locations Google records, then yes - that is already happening now. If you want to get around that; use a VPN, make sure that you use the VPN's DNS servers, and redirect your VPN through an additional proxy if you are paranoid. Turn off your location in Windows, and make sure you go incognito using your browser. As for files stored on Google - simply use strong encryption when uploading.

7. alex_teccy

Tell the Greeks, who have had two banking bailouts, Youth employment 30%+, have not experienced growth for decades, or Italy and Spain with 30% (Spains was up to 56%) a few years ago, or France with impossible social demands on their economy, with ongoing protests, or Germany on the brink of recession that they're not in an "economic disaster zone".
    But maybe your right, why argue demantics. It's not as bad as Venezuela, although Venezuela found itself in the predicament on hyper-inflation, because it printed money to pay it's public sector workers. So where will the EU findthe money for it's ongoing subsidies and its 1trn green fund.... perhaps its a case of watch this space.
    What are you blathering about? When did I mention the US states, secession or any of those topics? Totally irrelevant.
    If i'm spouting nonsense all the time why are you so eager to respond to my posts, and attempt to go to such lengths to dispute them? Sounds like the lady doth protest too much!

If you think I'm unworthy of your mighty intellect, just stop posting, it's that easy.

Kandahar likes this.
  8. Kandahar

Kandahar Lead commenter

You make the EU sound better than it is:

European Economic Growth Slows Almost to Zero

This time they can blame it on Brexit.

alex_teccy likes this.
  9. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

Google can detect if you are using a VPN and can make assumptions based on what else it knows about you (rarely do people register an account in another country for example). It's made even easier if you don't turn off the geolocation API in your browser, something I doubt many people do. Similarly most mobile apps will give location data away as well in order for you to use them. There's other ways as well.

ajrowing and CraigCarterSmith like this.
  10. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

I'll give you an A for effort. Still not enough though (you may get away with Google maps not being sure where you are, although I am not 100% certain possibly disable javascript as well). However, you'll still be giving enough information to identify who you are and roughly where you are to Google but not in real time. If you don't want a company to collect data on you then don't use their services (which is a lot for Google and about to include fitbit)

At the moment Google complies (pretty much) with GDPR. Anyway they don't sell personal data to third parties. Instead they use this to modify the services they run and create new ones. This way they can get other companies to buy things like ad space as they know Google can target them directly to whoever they want. Moving it to the US will allow them to share data much more freely between areas and in how the use the data.

What is interesting is how much Google is embedded in education systems and the NHS and what protections will be enabled for that.

ajrowing and Kandahar like this.
  11. Kandahar

Kandahar Lead commenter

This is a very good point. It is remarkable the speed with which Google has effectively hijacked so much of the Internet and our lives. I seem to recall during the mid 90s that it was Alta Vista and Yahoo that were at the forefront of Browser searching - along with AOL as the Internet platform. Fast work Google!

12. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

You were talking about the EU being an "economic disaster zone"- I posted this as a reply:

[​IMG]
    You promptly did what you do best... ran away rather than discuss why you had said something that was clearly either dishonest or deluded. Why did you say it By the way?

If we compare the USA and the EU then some parts of both unions of states have got problem areas, we could even consider the UK which has some problem areas.
    If we consider various parts of the US Rust belt should we start talking about the disintegration of the USA- Kandahar thought it fanciful, then followed your lead when evidence was presented.

Because the stuff you spout seems plausible to anyone with a little knowledge and a lot of prejudice. To any one willing to consider it critically it falls apart, but I think you already know that- hence your willingness to throw in misleading "facts" like the CSRs which few people had heard of, but which do sound a little sinister unless someone does the leg work to find out about them. Then they are just recomendations (like those we get from NATO, or the IMF) - which aren't enforcable, and usually say things like Keep a grip on public spending, train more people, build more houses (only you forget to mention the last two for some reason).
    Likewise your claims about the UK prepping to join the Euro- seem plausable when looking at the lines you quoted out of context- with the context added back in- suddenly it's panic over (again I think you already know that- hence the taking out of context) and for some reason or other you promptly desert the thread.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
  13. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

much of the world wide web rather than the internet.
    TBF Google was only a few years later starting up than Yahoo/Alra Vista., They just approached searching in a better way, so cornered the market.
    If you are looking for a good search engine that doesn't track your data try DuckDuckGo

14. Kandahar

Kandahar Lead commenter

Corrections appreciated.

I think that untangling oneself from Google is looking most attractive...but possibly trickier than I think.

15. alex_teccy

16. alex_teccy

No, it does not critically fall apart. The points I’ve made about CSRs have been proven time and time again. They’re available on the EU website. Fact. U.K. followed its legal treaty obligations. Fact. International Treaties are legally binding whatever you think about what I think the word recommendation means. Fact. Maastricht and Lisbon make clear Britain’s legal obligations unambiguously. Fact. Euro ecomonmic policy of which CSRs are an instrument have ruined the southern EU economies. Fact. Britain was on Euro EDP for 9 years. Fact.
    Every U.K. government and PM between Thatcher and Johnson has been pro EU. Fact. Britain joined the ERM as a precursor to monetary union.Fact. EUs share of world trade has dropped at a vastly greater extent than that of the US. Fact.

Your posts contain relentless ad hominem attacks and flaming. Fact.

Not prejudice, facts.

Facts facts facts facts facts.

Kandahar likes this.
  17. ajrowing

ajrowing Lead commenter

I have a small question about the CSRs. For the last ten years we have had the same party in government and that party has had to follow the CSRs as you say. We recently had a general election where that government party was all about leaving the EU. What did their manifesto say they were going to do differently now they are free of the loathesome CSRs?

18. alex_teccy

Why shouldn’t you find this out yourself? What’s the point your trying to make? That if U.K. governments shared EU economic policies they are irrelevant? If so why not just say that?
    I already explained that pro-EU governments view EU goals as U.K. goals. Hence our compliance.

Kandahar likes this.
  19. ajrowing

ajrowing Lead commenter

May I quote this post next time you go round hi fiving yourself about someone not answering a question you ask?

20. Kandahar

Kandahar Lead commenter

It's how I imagine working in Early Years is like...relentless.

alex_teccy likes this.