1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Which Brexiter saw this one coming?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Feb 20, 2020.

1. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

Indeed.

EU delusions of grandeur.

alex_teccy likes this.
  2. alex_teccy

alex_teccy Lead commenter

What you think about Boris Johnson or anyone else is irrelevant. Brexit cannot fail because it is not a “thing”, it is the absence of a thing and that is the sclerotic, deeply corrupt, anti-democratic, economic-disaster zone European Union.

You’d have to have your head buried in the sand not to see that it’s heading for oblivion.

Kandahar likes this.
  3. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

[​IMG]

Burndenpark likes this.
  4. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Brexit - the future of the UK outside the EU? Yes, for once I have to agree with you.

Brave of you to change your opinion so radically, but well done you. As Luke 15:7 puts it (not often I quote the Bible, but appropriate here):

" I tell you that in the same way there will be more rejoicing in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who do not need to repent".

5. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

You really were having a bit of a day weren't you yesterday.

6. alex_teccy

Ironically exactly how EU-supporters relentlessly portray the EU... I guess that’s why you lost!

Kandahar likes this.
  7. Burndenpark

Based on your previous track record of totally misunderstanding 50% or all polysyllable words- can you explain what you think you mean by that?

BTW- wasn't it you talking a while ago about the decline in the EU's GDP- you never did get back to me with the numbers- as an economic disaster zone could you give some details of how much smaller the EU's GDP is now compared to say 5, 10, 20, 30 years ago?

ajrowing likes this.
  8. alex_teccy

What planet are you on when you make an argument then expect the other side to then supply the evidence for it?

#Zero credibility

9. ajrowing

ajrowing Lead commenter

I must say this is your best post yet. Thank you.

Burndenpark likes this.
  10. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

I am assuming that the answer to my eaerlier question is "none". Naturally, a VPN and encrypted storage is prudent for those with sensitive data - regardless of who is in control of handling it.

border_walker likes this.
  11. Burndenpark

SO you don't think the EU is an economic-disaster zone then? I'm sure that you just said you thought it was.

Oh look- it's broadly running alongside the USA
    https://mgmresearch.com/us-vs-eu-a-gdp-comparison/
    [​IMG]
    Ah got it.
    economic--- 4 syllables

disaster--- 3 syllables

zone- you probably are OK with that one.

ajrowing likes this.
  12. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

Always worth taking a per capita look...and note that post Brexit the EU is forecast to slide further down.

[​IMG]

alex_teccy likes this.
  13. Burndenpark

Rising more slowly, but still rising yes? So how do you reconcile that with the "economic-disaster zone" description? Or do you agree that it's not an accurate description?

14. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

#the GDP gap continues to increase (my graph)
    #The EU has been ahead on GDP during most of the years in the past. However, post Brexit, it will it will be difficult for the EU to catch up with the EU on GDP (your graph).

Even the EU is very worried. Other countries will be pushing harder to 'exit. The project is past sell by date.

alex_teccy likes this.
  15. ajrowing

ajrowing Lead commenter

The reason that the EU GDP is rising more slowly is quite obviously because there are far too many economically inactive people. Luckily we are now free of the EU and so the government is now free to make those who are inactive active without the EU stopping them.

16. Burndenpark

Yes.

I refer you to the questions that were asked.
    Rising more slowly, but still rising yes? So how do you reconcile that with the "economic-disaster zone" description? Or do you agree that it's not an accurate description?

Surely you understand the importance of answering the question that was asked, not one that you wish was asked?

And how would the USA graph look say were California or Ney York to leave that union of states?

As would the USA be were California or Ney York threaten to leave that union of states.

17. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

I refer you to commonly held news:

Eurozone growth slows sharply as French and Italian economies shrink
    The Guardian 31st January 2020

still, not all bad news - Italy is slightly up from its economic black-hole. Did I mention Greece?

Rock solid and run the test of time - unlike the EU - a matching up of disparate nation states that were never going to hold together following the political and monetary union in the 1990s.
    Wishful thinking. Europe's history is too deep to match the USA whose roots were essentially born at the time of union.

alex_teccy likes this.
  18. alex_teccy

LOL.

19. Burndenpark

OK there's a few problem spots, no one has said otherwise.

The long trend data which both of us have shown graphs from- both GDP and GDP per capita are rising aren't they?
    So that's not really an "economic-disaster zone" is it?

Rock solid? thank goodness that there's no parts of the USA that would ever consider it...
    or maybe there are
    https://www.cheatsheet.com/culture/states-that-could-not-survive-secession.html/
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yes_California
    of course not forgetting
    [​IMG]

By union I assume you mean invasion and subjugation?

20. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

The US has very much more relaxed laws about the use of personal data. GDPR is European law. American law allows for Google to use personal data in a way which would be illegal in Europe. Moving personal data to the US is simply a way for Google to make more money from data gathered from its users.

monicabilongame and Stiltskin like this.