1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Which Brexiter saw this one coming?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Feb 20, 2020.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-google-privacy-eu-exclusive-idUKKBN20D2M3

"Google is planning to move its British users’ accounts out of the control of European Union privacy regulators, placing them under U.S. jurisdiction instead, sources said.

The shift, prompted by Britain’s exit from the EU, will leave the sensitive personal information of tens of millions with less protection and within easier reach of British law enforcement.

The change was described to Reuters by three people familiar with its plans. Google intends to require its British users to acknowledge new terms of service including the new jurisdiction.

Ireland, where Google and other U.S. tech companies have their European headquarters, is staying in the EU, which has one of the world’s most aggressive data protection rules, the General Data Protection Regulation.

Google has decided to move its British users out of Irish jurisdiction because it is unclear whether Britain will follow GDPR or adopt other rules that could affect the handling of user data, the people said.

If British Google users have their data kept in Ireland, it would be more difficult for British authorities to recover it in criminal investigations.

The recent Cloud Act in the United States, however, is expected to make it easier for British authorities to obtain data from U.S. companies. Britain and the United States are also on track to negotiate a broader trade agreement.

Beyond that, the United States has among the weakest privacy protections of any major economy, with no broad law despite years of advocacy by consumer protection groups."

sbkrobson likes this.
  2. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Most people familiar with cloud computing will not be surprised.

needabreak and Kandahar like this.
  3. Duke of York

4. ajrowing

ajrowing Lead commenter

Its the whole point of Brexit. Taking back control rather than following the rules set by those nasty EU people, we can set our own rules.

5. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Isn't that a good thing?

Mind you, by using a VPN Google would have no idea where a used is based.

6. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

You are showing signs of enlightenment. Welcome aboard.

lexus300, agathamorse and install like this.
  7. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Are we so very afraid of our friends over the pond that paranoia kicks in at every opportunity?

As an aside I rather like the quality/brands of goods sold via Costco and QVC though the consumer rights are better with the former as it isn't Selly Telly.

agathamorse and Kandahar like this.
  8. Duke of York

When stories like this occur with the frequency they do under the current US administration, I think we ought to be concerned about our future now. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-51580160

9. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

we should be pretty concerned, yes.

caress and Scintillant like this.
  10. WB

WB Lead commenter

Diamond Princess?

xmal likes this.
  11. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I'm not clear on how this is taking back control? Having no choice about being tied to a different country's regulations where we have no say about what happens to our data which will be subject to the decisions of others.

I see the Brexiters still think it's us and them and don't understand that the EU was about "us" making decisions whereas this is just giving it away - but properly giving it away this time.

12. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

What do you have to hide? And if you do, as mentioned; VPN.

lexus300, agathamorse and needabreak like this.
  13. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

Us, them. The EU was anything but us.
    Now it's definitely them. That's for sure.

lexus300 likes this.
  14. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

No it was definitely us as well, we had elections and MEP's and amongst the world's strongest data protection rules.

The USA is all about America First and we have absolutely no say at all, though we are now tied to amongst the weakest data rules of any major economy.

Took back control, fumbled it, dropped it, the USA has it and we have no say as we don't vote in American elections.

A result of the political vandalism of Brexit.

monicabilongame and Sally006 like this.
  15. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

If people are worried it's best they terminate/delete their Google account. They are not essential.

Kandahar and needabreak like this.
  16. needabreak

Since you are concerned have you stopped using Google products and services, and will you boycott other products and services or have you another plan, worrying doesn't get anyone anywhere does it.

17. Duke of York

The main point to be considered here is that once the decision to leave the EU had been made, legislation has been undertaken by the British government to have British laws replace EU laws and last year we had British law introduced which all but in name, was identical to GDPR.

I suspect it needed to be put in place to enable the UK to meet EU rules, so we could continue to trade with them as a non-member state.

Our ambition to increase trade with the US will involve meeting trade rules acceptable to the US, and the devil is always in the detail. Where do we stand if a trade agreement can't be made unless Britain accepts the lax legistion on personal data that the US has, whilst hoping to continue to trade with the EU, which demands higher standards from its trading partners.

I expect a reply from some pillock saying "this is nonsense, because the EU has been trading with the US since the EU began", but as I said before, the devil is in the detail. It depends what's being traded. It probably won't make the least bit of difference if the monkeys in the UK governement have difficulty in eating anything other than curved bananas, but as technology is where all the real money's being made these days and data is the new gold that everyone is after, it's interesting that Google their claim on it so soon after Britain ceased to be an EU member.

Anyone interested in history, might find it educational to spend a momemt or two away from their fascination of why Henry VIII was prepared to suffer more than one mother on law, and seemed to enjoy their bullying enough to suffer it five more times, in taking a diversion from their studies to learn how the gold rush changed the fortunes of the USA. If there hadn't been gold found in thum thar hills, the USA would have been a basket case long before it now is.

Data is the new gold.

FWIW, the stories of people flocking to California from all over the world in search of their fortune were true, but hardly any of them found it. More money was made by the people who sold prospecting equipment that the gold rushers found.

The USA's fortunes changed after the big boys moved in, backed by the US government to exclude anyone else so they could mine the area industrially.

It's not by accidident that google has positioned itself to be well-placed to mine the new gold.

18. needabreak

Yes data is valuable, yes we create loads of it, though you may be forgetting that Google is a multinational operating across national boundaries every day and creates jobs in so doing. Meanwhile if as individuals we do not accept the terms Google offers we don't have to accept them as others have said.

If people here are henceforth going to debate every trade decision our government will be making its going to be a long series of threads, and the time spent may be better off working with the Government and making a difference... *wonder about the traffic on such threads and their impact... does anyone in TES data land think these, threads make a difference?

19. Duke of York

I use google as a search engine, but I don't use any of its products. Technology has fascinated me all my life, but that doen't mean I'd want to own something that has no benefit to me. The very idea I'd have the need for Google's version of Alexa in my home any more than I'd want to have Alexa is absurd.

Rather than spend my life staring at a phone reading tweets and facebook posts, I prefer to spend my time thinking, so I'm not overly concerned for myself.

20. needabreak

So you aren't at all concerned that they have your search data? Presumably you have no need of their other industry based products since if you did you'd use them too like you do their search engine... They do rather more than Google Home you know.

TES is a form of social media like Facebook and Twitter... you like most of us spend rather a lot of time here, and given the numerous links to news articles you post you no doubt have utilised their search engine a great deal... Others I believe are available should you really object to their operations.