1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Which books worth buying for secondary science PGCE

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by rugbylovingmum, Feb 18, 2016.

1. rugbylovingmum

rugbylovingmum New commenter

Are there any books you would particularly recommend buying before starting a science PGCE? I picked up the books I needed for my FE training secondhand on Ebay and Abe books and I thought I might keep an eye out for any useful PGCE books going cheap. Are there any books you found particularly useful for writing assignments or books with useful tips for planning/differentiating/assessing etc?

2. rthorne52938

rthorne52938 New commenter

Hi Rugbylovingmmum

What subject are you studying? Is your course primary or secondary?

Your uni should provide you with a good reading list but happy to give suggestions if you're studing secondary, and in particular maths

3. rugbylovingmum

rugbylovingmum New commenter

Thanks. It's a secondary science PGCE. I'm sure I'll get a reading list before the course starts but it's good to know which books people have found useful and I can start looking out for secondhand copies.

4. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

There are some generic behaviour management books such as Getting the +++++++ to behave" which are worth reading- do check with your library ( if you have one) to save having to buy everything- most booklists are only recommendations so check what you must buy rather than what is desirable.
    If there is a bookstore or students union bookshop on the campus visit there to get an idea of the texts in use.
    Otherwise a lot of sources are online and are article based