1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Which books did you find helpful?

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by blademaid, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Ina May Gaskin's Guide to Childbirth
    Ina May Gaskin's Guide to Breastfeeding
    The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding - the reference book for BF

2. I too love 'my baby week by week' and the 'toddler month by month'. the ifrst book is especailly good when you're second guessing every decision you make!

3. I didn't really read many booksaboutbreastfeeding but found a couple of websites invaluable. www.kellymom.com has loads of practical advice about problems you may or may not encounter and gives a good idea about what to expect. And I went to the breastfeeding group at our sure start centre run by hvs, most of them happily welcome expectant mums as well as mums with babies.
    For later on I liked the no cry sleep solution, as most people eventually want some way to ge their baby to sleep through the night.

4. I haven't had my baby yet either, but so far the best books I've read have been Your Baby Week by Week and Breastfeeding Made Simple by Nancy Mohrbacher. I think they're both going to be books I come back to as manuals/guides once the baby is here.

5. I really enjoyed reading this book too ...although it did become affectionately known as my 'hippy dippy book' (hope this causes no offence to anybody).
    Some of the contents (imo) are a bit extreme (the notion that labour can be orgasmic and the picture of the baby emerging face first), but I believe it helped me to approach my labour in a really positive frame of mind. I managed with just gas and air and followed the advice to keep mobile when in labour. DD (first baby) came into the world in just 3 hours!
    Bumbly x

6. Active Birth- Janet balaskas- very easy read and helped me lot.
    The womanly art of breastfeeding is brilliant. i wish so much that id read it or ina May Gaskins book before i began breastfeeding. both books enormously helpful and very interesting reads with lots of anecdotes about bf which were a good read.

7. jafitife

jafitife New commenter

I bought my Pregnancy Day-to-Day by Dr Maggie Blott which was excellent, it gives you just what its states on the cover, daily info on the progress of your baby as well as beautiful pictures and 3-d scans. It has input from a range pf health professionals and gives you advice on pregnancy-health, nutrition, exercise, birthing, feeding etc. I read many books as it was my first pregnancy but this was by far the most enjoyable and informative. I've passed it onto a few friends who have really enjoyed it too. Hope to use it again soon[​IMG]