1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Which book should I get?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by kirsty_180, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Hi,
    Was hoping for a bit of advice concerning which book to get. I was going to get 'learning to teach in the secondary school' but then thought I should get the subject specific one (e.g. Learning to teach History in the secondary school).
    Are they basically the same thing? Which one would people recommend?

Thanks

2. katnoodle

katnoodle New commenter

Hi Kirsty, I've just finished my PGCE Secondary History so hope I can help! I got both books as a History trainee; they are very different. Learning to Teach in the Secondary School is a weighty tome but is quite useful in my opinion, especially for assignments. It's got some helpful theory on learning. The History equivalent is OK, although I found quite a bit of it to be basic common sense. I'd recommend getting it from your ITT library first and only buying it if you really feel you need it. It does have its own companion piece, A Practical Guide to Teaching History by Martin Hunt, which is more useful as it's full of practical ideas. The accompanying website is also worth a look: http://cw.routledge.com/textbooks/9780415370240.
    As a general rule, I wish I'd steered clear of investing in the more theoretical books on your reading list; your library will have them and you probably won't look at them much once your assignments are in. Instead try and buy books that are full of practical teaching ideas, like The Teacher's Toolkit by Paul Ginnis.

3. I'm a primary teacher but even so, I agree with this advice. In terms of actually buying the books, practical content is a better investment than theory as you're much more likely to use these texts once qualified (unless you're planning on doing the MTL at a later date, I suppose).
    Getting the books from the library ASAP as soon as you get your library card is also excellent advice - you don't need to keep renewing them as that could be construed as being a bit cheeky, but you can always take your time looking through them before buying that way!