1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Which book for year 6? The Butterfly Lion or Kensukes Kingdom?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by angpang, Apr 12, 2007.

1. Hi, I hope someone can help me. i'm sorting my planning out for next term in english and fancied doing a Micheal Morpugo book with the class. Originally I thought, The Butterfly Lion, but on second thoughts I see a lot of you do it with year 4/5; I teach year 6. So would I be better using Kensukes Kingdom with year 6? Has anyone used either of these book before with year 6? Would appreciate any ideas. The Butterfly Lion or Kensukes Kingdom? HELP!!

2. Hi, I hope someone can help me. i'm sorting my planning out for next term in english and fancied doing a Micheal Morpugo book with the class. Originally I thought, The Butterfly Lion, but on second thoughts I see a lot of you do it with year 4/5; I teach year 6. So would I be better using Kensukes Kingdom with year 6? Has anyone used either of these book before with year 6? Would appreciate any ideas. The Butterfly Lion or Kensukes Kingdom? HELP!!

3. Kensukes Kingdom or Why the whales came

4. I really like Kensukes Kingdom, on the:
    www.teachit.co.uk wenbsite, you can download some sheets to do at the start, end or throughout your English lesson.
    Hope this helps,

Shiny Star
    xxx
    ---

5. dnm

dnm

use kensuke and the children love it, use it as guided reading lesson. you're welcome to the plans if it will help.

6. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

Agh!
    I hate Morpurgo!
    So dull!

7. Thank you so much! I was confused but will do Kensukes Kingdom since everone...well almost everyone agrees! Would love to take a peek at plans as long as that is ok. My e-mail is angharadbeynon@aol.com.
    Thanks again, I shall get going on planning mid-term plans

8. I did Kensuke's Kingdom with my Y6 class last year - they loved it! Also on the last day of term, on their last day at primary school, when the children had some free time to "amuse themselves"/play games etc, several of the children asked could they get a copy of the book from the shelves to read parts of it again!!!
    Also, the stage production of it was on at a local theatre in November last year, and several of my old class, who were now Y7, went to see it!!

9. scholastic do a really good book which would be a good resource for Kensukies Kingdom, a Read & Respond book. I;ve used a similar text for Carrie's War and they have loads of great ideas and phtocopiables. I planned a four week lit plan using it.

10. jlo

jlo New commenter

dnm - I would like to see your kensuke planning if it's not too much trouble.
    jolower@aol.com

11. My year 5 daughter has read both and she says Kensukes kingdom is best!

12. If it's ok, would someone let me have a look at the Kensuke Kingdom plans as well please? My email is:

thecrossways@hotmail.com

Many thanks

13. to the OP - Kensuke's Kingdom is in the English transition plans for Y6 - Y7. Butterfly Lion also gets a brief mention. So many Y6 teachers are reading it and teaching it now.
    there are other threads on this - look it up, it may help you.

14. (oops, just noticed this is an old thread which has been resurrected... sorry!)

15. my class found kensuke's kingdom boring but they were an immature bunch of chav's lol

16. Definitely Kensuke's Kingdom Scolastic 100 Hours Lit Year 5 has some good ideas on aspects of narrative using this book which I've used some of particularly the description of the island. It also gives great opportunities for 'hot-seating' activities get children to ask you questions as Michael's Mum or Dad about how you felt when he went missing. Also good for looking at how tension is built in a story - part where Michael and Stella are swept overboard and Michael finds his lucky football.
    Hope some of these ideas help

17. HI

sorry to be cheeky and jump on the band wagon, but could you please send me a copy of the kk plans too.

Thanks

mv4d@hotmail.com

18. Kensuke's Kingdom for me.