1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Which bits of my career should I talk about in a letter of application?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Miss Flump, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Hi folks,
    I'm in my third year of teaching (four including training), but have had a bit of a fragmented career. So far, it has been made up of
    18 months at one school (a couple of different temporary contracts)
    a six month contract somewhere else,
    one term of supply at a third school (three days a week)
    and I've now got a temporary contract at a fourth school until July which I started two weeks before Christmas.
    In all honesty, I am looking to establish myself somewhere permanently as a member of staff and therefore want my letter of application to be as good as it possibly can be.
    In my last two proper job applications I got the job, beating nearly sixty people to one of them, so my letter must have had something to do with it. However, since completing those contracts, I have joined a supply agency where I've had a term's supply (3 days per week) at one school and have just started somewhere else full time (having only done four weeks there so far).
    As I will be filling in the school's application form as part of the process, they will be aware of my career. However, my letter of application is now going to need a serious overhaul! My question is this; which parts of my career should I talk about in my letter of application? Obviously, the places where I have worked longer I have made more of an impact in my subject(s), but they were further back in my career.
    I have had lots of positive comments in my current school where I've only recently started, with people commenting on my organisation (I'm teaching three subjects), resource preparation etc, so it's difficult to know what to write about.
    Any pearls of wisdom will be warmly received.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

The answer to this is in the pinned thread at the top of this forum. Quick answer the ones which fulfil the particular job specifications of the actual post you're applying for.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hate to say this, but That Was Then And This Is Now. Things have changed, the job situation is dire now with extremely fierce competition.
    So Lara's advice is correct: read the clickables inside the Welcome thread. And don't have an application letter. As she says, your letter should fit that actual school and job. So there should be a different letter for easch school.
    Good luck!
    I shall be doing Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contributing to the Job Application Seminars and Weekend Workshops over February half term. We shall be looking at application letters, executive summaries and interviews.
    The next Weekend Workshop on applications is on Sunday 23rd January. Contact advice@tes.co.uk for more details on all of these.
    Look forward to seeing you!

4. Many thanks for directing me to the right part of the forum. Here's hoping your advice helps me out! [​IMG]