1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Which behaviours cause you the most angst?

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by gorgybaby, Oct 3, 2011.

1. I would be so grateful for your ideas. I need to talk to PGCE students about behaviour and would really appreciate anyone sharing with me the behaviours that they find most difficult, or the ones that you worry about the most. I just want to be prepared and have some ideas about how to deal with it before they ask. Many thanks in anticipation!

2. I would be so grateful for your ideas. I need to talk to PGCE students about behaviour and would really appreciate anyone sharing with me the behaviours that they find most difficult, or the ones that you worry about the most. I just want to be prepared and have some ideas about how to deal with it before they ask. Many thanks in anticipation!

3. dts

dts Occasional commenter

I'd say it's not out-and-out defiance or violence that causes most problems. Those sorts of things are clearly beyond the ability of a PGCE student / NQT and should be escalated to SMT fairly quickly. (I'm aware this doesn't always happen but in theory it should.) What I found most difficult as a new teacher was the subtle, devious misdirection that often goes on - the kid who provokes others to misbehave, or who derails the lesson with seemingly innocent questions, or who is just doing something that's making the others giggle.

4. 3..2..1..quiet thank you.

And it's like you've not said anything at all.

That's what I'm the most scared of.

5. As an NQT, the things I have struggled most with are:

- Maintaining quiet. Not getting it - I can count down from 3/5, and name names quite happily, and it tends to work. Keeping them quiet however is a completely different story!

- Sticking to the script - I'm good at setting rules, but I know that I let them slip with some classes, and really shouldn't. Ditto this for following through on detentions - I'll hold them back, but then feel bad about it, and only keep them a minute or two.

- Sending children out. Obviously no one wants to do it, but even when I <u>should</u> do it, I feel like it's a failure. And this goes not only for the 5 minutes outside the room, to cool off, but also for officially "exiting" children - I know there's children in my classes that really should have been removed by now, and yet, I can't bring myself to do it, and I know a lot of NQTs/Students feel the same way - if you "give in" you've "lost", and something needs knocking into place to change that way of thinking!

6. In response to this, they still chit chat even if you've been in the business for ten years, like me! Today my lesson was halted for five minutes by a strong smell of - shall we say - manure - coming from outside somewhere. I joked with them and said "if that's any of you, I'm giving you a detention!"

7. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

behaviour in any school where the SMT/SLT fail to support or back up adults (all adults) working in the school.
    In short they should be very careful about accepting sa contract as an NQT in any school where they do not feel that behaviour is taken seriously and they will be backed up consistently.
    getting quiet can be tricky and requires that they don't feel under pressure to start just because they are being observed. So settling/coming in activities are very useful.
    They should also avoid the pitfall of starting to share jokes at the end of a lesson, i have seen this happen to so many young teachers, especially with difficult classes, gradually the joke time spreads earlier and earlier.
    They also need coaching in breathing and using their voice, if they get louder (especially women who can have a screechy voice) the whole atmosphere can spiral up and up.
    good luck to all of them.
    ps. personally i find constant tale telling a pain in the butt!

8. katnoodle

katnoodle New commenter

MissPixie9, I could have written your post myself! So much lesson time gets wasted - especially with Year 8 for persistent fuss and chatter, but it's always more than the whole class so it's really hard to sort out with actual consequences. I'm not a fan of whole-class detentions, even if it's a few minutes on the board, but I might have to try it with some classes.

9. YesMrBronson

YesMrBronson New commenter

This only works if there's a certain consequence for not stopping talking. I have found that trainees and NQTs get told to count down or wait for silence but don't get encouraged to use sanctions against pupils who don't adhere to it. The punishment is essential if count downs are to work.

10. YesMrBronson

Remedy this by concentrating your thoughts on the fact that you're <u>helping </u>the pupils:
    • You're helping the well behaved ones by protecting them from having their education stolen by the naughty ones.
    • You're helping the naughty ones by steering them towards behaving better.

11. YesMrBronson

More than the whole class?

12. katnoodle

katnoodle New commenter

Whoops, I meant more than a few! Otherwise it would be more students from other classes arriving in my room just to help with the disruption, now that would be a bummer!

13. rainbow_gold

rainbow_gold New commenter

I'm an NQT too and the behaviour I am finding most challenging is:

Kids who will not stop talking no matter what you say to them.

Rude, hostile girls who will give you a 'Alright! God!!' followed by muttering under the breath when you tell them to stop talking or get a move on with their work.

Disruptive kids who couldn't give a **** about their education and so will chat, throw things, swear, have a snooze, wander about, and generally do whatever takes their fancy.

Whole classes banding together to tap their pens together or whistle or make silly noises with their mouths. (I never came across this in pgce and it happened on my first day this year and i felt completely overwhelmed with a whole class against me).

can you tell i've had a bad day?!

14. Me too. I have all bottom or one-from-bottom sets and behaviour is an issue in all-bar-one. The younger pupils aren't too much of a problem in that they're new and they react well to being reminded of the rules consistently and frequently. The biggest problem I find is the handful of kids from Y10 & Y11 classes who just don't see the point in trying and therefore see no hardship in ballsing it up for the whole class because they're disengaged. Calling out stupid, puerile answers at every opportunity, bashing keys on the PCs so they all start beeping, ignoring any and all homework set then avoiding detentions.
    One particularly low set of all boys, I told two of them if they hadn't done the work set, they'd be in detention with me at lunchtime - however, they gleefully informed me they already had a detention so I couldn't keep them. I had the last laugh though as I emailed the alleged teacher and asked if this was true and she said no. So now they have two. One to complete their work and one for lying. ON most occasions though, these kids ARE in detentions most days and it's a battle between staff to book a free slot to nab them!
    I also have the eye-rolling girls - though how they manage to lift their eyelids with the amount of slap they have caked on them is a mystery! Everything's a big drama and the whole world is soooo against them. I particularly like depriving them of their mascara/foundation/eyeliner - whatever they think is appropriate to put on in my lesson, then make them go to wash what they have plastered on, off so they have to spend the rest of the day au naturel.
    My biggest problem is finding the time to allocate to detentions - sometimes lunchtimes are the ONLY time I have to catch up on photocopying, and after school there's often meetings, NQT sessions and the endless cycle of planning & marking - finding an hour to deal with a truculent teenager is often the last thing I could ever want. But, yes, I realise it pays off in the end.

15. Not often I disagree with the great Mr Bronson, but I do on this one.
    Counting down is fantastic and totally effective, but is reliant on no way on punishment. It is a case of practising it, like you would a skill in tennis or a part of the curriculum. Explain and demonstrate, then practise it until it is really good. Use it when you need it and it is superb. It should be not seen as a punishable thing if it does not go well, but merely something which 'needs practising'. Then set about challenging them to do it again, this time with you whispering, and then mouthing your countdown.
    Don't think for a minute that I must be in a nice leafy, easy school either. Get Harry Wong's First Days of School for a second-by-second talk through of this.

16. jmntsp

jmntsp New commenter

Agree, as ever, with coolasacucumber! I've tried various things over my many years in teaching and have long ago come to the conclusion that waiting for silence may work.....saying, 'ok, I need you listening please' or something similar means you have to wait for them to stop their conversations when they feel like it, etc. Saying, 'Right, I need you silent - 5,4,3,2,1' works every time for me. Kids know that if they are still talking when I hit 1 then they are in trouble. And also if there is a buzz of chat (for whatever reason) occasionally they aren't paying enough attention to process your actual words - whereas they always somehow hear the numbers being counted down! Give it a try. Like coolas I've been in some tough schools - it still works.

17. This is so frustrating! I have a couple of consistently badly behaved students (Year 8, 9, and 10), who go in for annoying "small" behaviour problems - talking over me, silly messing around, not doing 5 minute homework tasks etc, and getting hold of them for detentions is an absolute nightmare! I have started using the "I'll just email Mr/Mrs ____ to double check" and it's miraculously freed up a couple of the kids.... Ending up having to book some kids days ahead though!!

18. I think both opinions are really interesting!

I do find myself leaning towards MrBronson on this one though.

I would interested to hear what you think of how I have been using the countdown. With some of my chattier/more disruptive classes I have tallied on the board the number of times I countdown from 3 in a lesson and not everyone is quiet and listening on 1. I then keep those students in to 'practice' that number of times at lunch/break. The problem is, of course, that all of a sudden being quiet on 1 isn't that difficult outside of a lesson - (which makes me think they don't need practice) so it seems really pointless.

Sorry for going off topic.

19. I absolutely do not understand 5-4-3-2-1!! Your post, franscaz, illustrates why - I have never seen it work! I am not willing for the kids to finish their conversation, when I am ready they stop whatever they are doing, and that's that I am interested that you do it Coolas - I am surprised that you believe in it, but it makes me think there must be something in it.
    Thanks so much for your responses, I find them very interesting.

20. In my lessons, I give them the first countdown to make their "mistakes" - carrying on talking, not listening, not facing the front. The second time I do it during the lesson, they all know that continuing past "1" will result in a warning, and their second warning is a detention - it's no different to the 3 warnings I let them have for anything else, but it does let them know that I take the count down seriously. But then, I also teach in a generally quite noisy DT room, and shouting 5-4-3-2-1 is a *lot* better on my voice than calling out for quiet constantly, even if it does mean that I have an awful lot of detentions for the first week or two of a rotation