1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Which authors to read on behaviour management?

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by sarahrjones78, Oct 24, 2015.

1. sarahrjones78

sarahrjones78 New commenter

Hi,

I hope this is ok to post here - I'm completely new to the site and education, having just completed my first half term as a SCITT School Direct trainee.

My first assignment for uni is on behaviour management, and we need to do a literature review. I have a few basic books, but there is so much out there I was hoping someone could suggest a few well respected authors/books that I could look at. I'm looking for some differing opinions if possible, to make my review a bit more exciting as well as reflective.

Many thanks in advance,

Sarah

Ghonim likes this.
  2. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

Have you got Sue Cowley's "Getting The B*ggers To Behave"? This one is often recommended to students and NQTs, so it's probably worth a look.

3. sarahrjones78

That's one I'd heard about - will definitely get hold of a copy, thank you!

4. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

David Didau is quite good for debunking the idea that if your lessons are interesting enough children will automatically behave. It's a log rather than a book, although he has written a couple about Literacy and education in general.

5. sarahrjones78

Ooh that sounds really handy, thank you!

6. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi

Working as a supply teacher for some time, behaviour management is a big concern for me and I have read quite an few books on the topic.

Anything written by Bill Rogers will be useful, but the best book on this topic is a book called Taking Care of Behaviour by Paul Dix. The book starts with the premise that in order to manage students' behaviour, you first must manage your own behaviour; it goes on to give very useful strategies on classroom rules, rewards, and scripts to use. This book saved my sanity and I can't recommend it highly enough. If you Google Pivotal Education there is more information there.

7. sarahrjones78

Thanks so much for the ideas - researching it all now!

8. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

You are welcome...enjoy!

9. MrEsson

MrEsson New commenter

At risk of resurrecting an old thread. Will you be the one by Tracey campbell offers a really good insight into children's behaviour and how you can make a lasting difference

10. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi MrEsson

Don't apologise for posting on an old thread. Thank you very much for the recommendation. I have had a quick look on Amazon and the book has received some good reviews. I shall definitely try to either borrow or buy a copy tomread over Chrisfmas as this looks like something I have been looking for.