1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Which authors on SEND issues do you recommend?

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by JulesDaulby, Jul 28, 2016.

?

How do you find out about SEND?

Poll closed Aug 18, 2016.
  1. Research

100.0%
  2. Books

75.0%
  3. Websites

100.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Wotworklifebalance

Wotworklifebalance New commenter

On autism, Damian Milton is great, as is anything by Luke Beardon.

It's worth bearing in mind that Tony Attwood is regarded as deeply offensive by many in the autistic community.

dzil likes this.
  2. ummyrahma13

ummyrahma13 New commenter

I am currently reading Mel Levine's book A MIND AT A TIME" .. its amazing in understanding how children think especially those with learning and behavior needs.

3. dzil

dzil Occasional commenter

Just want to second Wotworks comment about Tony Attwood being deeply offensive to the Autistic Community Please bear this in mind if you do decide to read this.

AS this is a thread on books on SEND, not just autism, I'd like to recommend

Joanna Grace (check out her sensory projects website)
    3 particularly useful titles are : Sensory Stories, Sensory Being for Sensory Beings and Multiple MultiSensory Rooms - helpful for parents, teachers and anyone working with people at the earliest stages of development.
    Keith Parks and Nichola Groves: especially Macbeth in Mind; Romeo and Juliet; Odyssey NOW. (mainly for teachers)
    Les Staves: Very Special Maths (mainly for teachers)
    Pete Imray: Anything ! (mainly for teachers)

4. moyamurphy

moyamurphy New commenter

5. moyamurphy

moyamurphy New commenter

I've been listening to Lynn McCann on Schudio tv. Lots of good advice. She has books too which a colleague had bought but I haven't had a chance to look yet. Definitely worth tuning into though.

6. alyj

alyj New commenter

Great thread. Some excellent recommendations. The Book Trust also supply a wonderful collection of age appropriate books for your school library. We received ours in September.

Invisible Emmie- Terri Libenson
    Me and My Fear- Francesca Sanna
    The Same Inside- Liz Brownlee Matt Goodfellow and Roger Stevens

This are a few of the secondary school SEN pack.

7. ime20

ime20 New commenter

Caroline Scott is great for EAL. She has written: ‘Teaching Children as an Additional Language: A Programme for 7-11 year olds' and 'Teaching English as an Additional Language 5-11, A Whole School Resource’