1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Which authors on SEND issues do you recommend?

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by JulesDaulby, Jul 28, 2016.

?

How do you find out about SEND?

Poll closed Aug 18, 2016.
  1. Research

100.0%
  2. Books

75.0%
  3. Websites

100.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. JulesDaulby

JulesDaulby Occasional commenter TES SEND peer advisor

I've been thinking about creating a recommended reading list for SEND practitioners.

Which books and research papers have you found most useful? Which websites do you regularly use?

For speech and language, I find Professor Dorothy Bishop very useful; she blogs at Bishopsblog. Anna Brannagan and Stephen Parson's Word Aware is an excellent resource. Ican is an informative website.

For autism, Uta Frith and Tony Atwood. Carol Gray's Social Stories and Comic Strip Conversations are useful.

For dyslexia, Professor Snowling and Professor Goswami are informative. For a controversial read on whether the term dyslexia is scientific, Professor Elliot's book might be a good read - for what it's worth, while I agree with much of his book I disagree that the term shouldn't be used.

For dyspraxia, Maxine Roper is really interesting to read. She is a journalist who has dyspraxia and writes very well about it.

Some books I haven't read yet but plan to:

Nancy Gedge - Inclusion for Primary School Teachers (Nancy is a newly appointed consultant teacher for Driver Youth Trust).
    Jarlath O'Brien - Don't send him in tomorrow (Jarlath is a Head of a Special School)

Well, this is a start - do add to the list and I will compile at a later date.

Regards,

Jules

CurriculumForAutism likes this.
  2. CurriculumForAutism

CurriculumForAutism Occasional commenter

For Inclusion, Paula Kluths' books are great.

There are so many brilliant autism books, so it's hard to choose just a few:
    I have found each of Temple Grandin's books about Autism really helpful, and "The Autistic Brain" is a great read for teachers who want to know how their pupils think- not all people with autism are visual thinkers.
    If you work with kids, teens or adults with severe autism then Phoebe Caldwell's books are great.
    Joanne Lara's "Autism Movement Therapy" is a very interesting book -since reading it last year I've started doing music & movement daily with my son, and he's loving it.
    "Carly's Voice" by Arthur & Carly Fleischmann is the true story of a non-verbal girl with autism who learns to communicate by typing. It's a moving & inspiring book!

I look forward to seeing what books other SEND teachers recommend.

JulesDaulby likes this.
  3. Dodros

Dodros Senior commenter

Audience matters. When reviewing the literature of SEND, it's important to consider who the intended readership of a particular publication is. Parents, children, teachers, SENCos, psychologists, occupational therapists are all contributors to the success or otherwise of the SEND process, but they are also individuals with their own priorities, interests and fields of expertise.

For example, as a foreign language teacher who became a SEND teacher, I would recommend that my busy secondary school MFL colleagues with students with Specific Learning Difficulties and Austistic Spectrum Conditions in their classes read Elke Schneider and Margaret Crombie's "Dyslexia and Foreign Language Learning" and the North West Regional Special Educational Needs Partnership online document "Children with autism: Strategies for accessing the curriculum at Key Stages 3 and 4: Modern foreign languages" at
    http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20110218194057/http://teachernet.gov.uk/_doc/6701/modern%20foreign%20languages.pdf
    to provide them with classroom-ready ideas and strategies.

Yes, we do need the general literature of SEND with plenty of informative case studies to be sure that we are all addressing the needs of the whole indvidual, but we equally have to "go that extra mile" to understand better how to include that individual in every aspect of the area of the school curriculum for which we are responsible.

ClearAutism and dzil like this.
  4. JulesDaulby

Thanks for these recommendations - I have ordered them.

Regards,

Jules

CurriculumForAutism likes this.
  5. JulesDaulby

Yes, very good point. How have you found introducing mainstream teachers to books on SEND? In my experience, I find giving them advice by email but with further reading should they require it. This link you give is perfect as it has 'classroom-ready ideas and strategies'.

Thanks for commenting.

6. JulesDaulby

I have been given more titles courtesy of twitter

@johnfinney8 'Psychology for Inclusive Education' by Ruth Kershner
    @JarlathO'Brien 'What Really Works in Special and Inclusive Education: Using evidence-based teaching strategies' by David Mitchell, 'Ghost Boy' by Martin Pistorius, 'Beyond Discipline' by Alfie Kohn, 'Supporting Children with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities' by Cherryl Drabble
    @stephc007 'Understanding Pathological Demand Avoidance' by Phil Christie, Margaret Duncan and Ruth Fidler
    @rachelrossiter 'Beating Bureaucracy' by Jean Gross

7. JulesDaulby

8. JulesDaulby

9. StarlightMcKenzie

StarlightMcKenzie New commenter

ClearAutism and JulesDaulby like this.
  10. JulesDaulby

I don't know this one - thanks Starlight

11. JulesDaulby

Uta Frith: Autism explaining the enigma

12. JulesDaulby

Old ('85) but still a fount of wisdom &research evidence D.McGuinness' When Children Don't Learn 85p+P&P on Amazon.

Via Susan Godsland

13. sem022

sem022 New commenter

Inclusion: Developing an effective whole school approach - Alison Ekins

Dyscalculia Assessment - Brian Butterworth

Developing Language and Literacy: Effective Intervention in the Early Years - Various

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime - Mark Haddon

Ten things every child with autism wishes you knew - Ellen Notbohm

Beating Bureaucracy in special educational needs - Jean Gross

The Perfect Senco - Natalie Packer

Think Good - Feel Good: CBT for Children - Paul Stallard

The Huge Bag of Worries - Virginia Ironside

A Volcano In my Tummy - Helping kids to understand anger : Whitehouse

Dibs : in search of self - Personality Development in Play Therapy - Virginia Axline

Response to intervention and precision teaching - Kent Johnson

How to survive and succeed as a SENCo in the primary school - Veronica Birkett