1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Which author, living or dead, would you like to be your best friend?

Discussion in 'Book club' started by TheoGriff, Jan 17, 2012.

1. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Bill Bryson.
    No contest, Bill it is.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

2. Aye - he gets my vote as well - and not only because he writes nice things about the City of Durham.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

So you will be my best friend too, Dekka!
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.

4. Jane Austen, for all the reasons that her books are such good friends.

5. thebigonion

thebigonion New commenter

Phil Pullman's a nice chap, too. Met him - just to join the name-droppers...

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Wow - actually met them!
    I am REALLY impressed by this name dropping!
    I have met Gail and Bev of TES fame, but no real authors like you two.
    Best wishes
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 21st www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com<font size="2" color="#0000ff"> </font>

7. Neil Gaiman. The guy seems to share my warped sense of humour.

8. Spanakopita

Spanakopita New commenter

Why would you want an author, particularly a dead one, to be your best friend?

9. Underachiever

Underachiever New commenter

Wow twirlygig, you win the name-dropping contest hands down. I was interested in your opinion of Seamus Heaney. I've always thought he's over-rated. (should I duck now and run away?)

10. I didn't mean it to come across as name-dropping. I just went to any author event going for a number of years. I even came across Lulu in a bookshop once, flogging her diet and beauty book. Boy can that woman work an audience.
    I imagine Seamus Heaney considers himself to be under-rated, if anything. I'm afraid I fell asleep during the reading so I couldn't say for sure.

11. I forgot that I've also met a cookery book author a few times. She's done guest appearances on TV but she said she makes very little from her books.

12. Underachiever

Underachiever New commenter

Didn't mean that in a bad way, twirlygig. It just puts my brief encounter with Bill Bryson in Durham into perspective.
    You're welcome to the bragging rights on Lulu though [​IMG]

13. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

If that is Jacqueline Wilson, I agree. She visited a school where I was Head. Even let the kids try on her rings . . .
    [​IMG]
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com

14. Its not Jacqueline Wilson, Theo.
    I've only seen her on TV but she comes across as pleasant and very in touch with young people.

15. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

When JW was researching for a new book, she used to interview young girls to gett he facts and emotional issues right.
    Well, she might still do that - but I knew about that in the past.
    Best wishes
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com

16. A little off-topic, although it ties in with the book-signing experiences. A good few years ago when my children were young, a relatively well-known children's author (now deceased) was signing books at a local event. I duly bought a book, and asked if she could sign it to both my children - she refused and said if we wanted two names acknowledged we would have to buy two books. I was not terribly impressed.

17. Wuzzy

Wuzzy New commenter

Anthony Horowitz - couldn't believe how friendly and genuine he was at a book signing I went to - he was happy to sign old books of his we owned too. And the talk he gave at the same event was great fun.

18. Sorry to lower the tone a bit, but I'd go for Jilly Cooper as she sounds like a jolly sort who wouldn't stint on the grub and the wine. I bet she also has loads of juicy gossip up her sleeve.
    Plus she likes dogs & horses. My kind of woman.

19. impis

impis New commenter

I've already got a friend who's an author. He writes fantasy novels and his latest book, as I understand it, was No. 1 fantasy best seller in New York a few weeks ago.
    Top bloke, and very down to earth.

20. When I went to a Seamus Heaney signing, he had already pre-signed all the copies of his new book. Presumably this was to avoid all the tedious chatting with the hoi polloi. You could get his old books signed - if you bought them in the bookshop.
    Some authors do themselves no favours in trying to get people to part with their cash. Anthony Horowitz has always struck me as a nice chap. I'm glad to hear he's really like that.