1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Which assessments do you use in Primary setting?

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by wrightmaster45, Mar 10, 2016.

1. wrightmaster45

wrightmaster45 New commenter

We have tried a few at our school with the new curriculum in place......but still have yet to decide on a final scheme which is rigorous enough. Just wondering if anyone was willing to share what company their school uses for mathematics assessments (we assess 6 times a year) and if they think they are reliable and rigorous as a provider.

Any help much appreciated.

2. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

using rising stars.
    but it does not match the term by term overview that we are following from one of the national bodies, with links to NRICH investigations, no doubt someone who is more awake will identify the one for me,
    Unless we start "teaching to the test" it cannot be more than a guide.
    Not sure if I need tests for Years 3 & 4 to be rigorous. Actually over many years of teaching Maths I find out all I need to know from a simple times table test and a few mental questions!

When I trained we were expected to use our professional judgement and size up a class for a new topic with a bit of Q&A. Setting and marking a test before (as is now proposed n my school) starting a topic was just seen as a waste of scarce teaching time.

3. gargs

gargs Star commenter

We have used the 2016 sample materials, Puma and PiXL. They're all pretty much the same, IMO. The Puma tests allow for age-related comparisons to be made, which could be useful.

I know of schools who do this so they can show what amazing progress the children have made - total nonsense, but it makes them happy!