1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Which are the best recruitment agencies for Tier 1 schools?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by theintlteacher, Jun 16, 2018.

1. spanboy

spanboy Occasional commenter

@february31st - I thought students could opt for another science in lieu of a standard group 6 subject, assuming the school will offer it, of course?

2. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

they can, he just doesnt know about it.

tesolmath likes this.
  3. kemevez

kemevez Occasional commenter

Yes a student can take two sciences - one as group 4 subject and one as a group 6 subject. If a student wants to do three sciences there are three ways to go about it. 1) take seven subjects, 2) take 2 scIences as part of the DP and take the third as a non DP subject at a level that satisfies the university they are applying for (or at that level in Grade10/Year 11), 3) the school can ask the IBO for permission for a student to do a third science as part of an “irregular diploma”. If the student is indeed intending to apply for a university course that requires three sciences at DP level (unusual) then permission will be granted. The three options have their pros and cons but the 3rd one is clearly preferable.

dumbbells66 likes this.
  4. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

[QUOTE="dumbbells66 Its four programmes now. [/QUOTE]

I wondered how long it would take you to spot that one.

[QUOTE="dumbbells66 The take up of the CP programme has been extremely limited. /QUOTE]

Indeed, not everybody swallows everything the IB dishes up.

5. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Obviously not you ;)

6. yasf

yasf Occasional commenter

They sorted out the salary payment issues?

7. yasf

If you're talking pure IB vs British, then Paris springs to mind.

8. yasf

188 schools now offer the IB CP, 38 of them in the UK. So not too terrible for a vocational qualification that's been relatively recently introduced.

9. shazzamac

shazzamac New commenter

Back to the posters original question... Having looked, and got, a new job overseas this year I used most of the different ways to find a job. Personally I found Search the best. You can see lots of info about each school, and if you get accepted by the 'British' recruiter they can't charge you...unlike if you are taken on by a recruiter elsewhere...then it cost $200 I think. But still...my friend in UAE paid and also got her dream job, so wasn't complaining.
    I found Schule?? site confusing, and different schools using it had sometimes different things to fill in, unlike Search where you do it once.
    I applied directly to schools through Search and got a job before xmas so didn't even need to go to the Fair.
    Good luck.

tesolmath likes this.
  10. february31st

february31st Established commenter

11. theintlteacher

theintlteacher New commenter

Personally I found Search the best. You can see lots of info about each school, and if you get accepted by the 'British' recruiter they can't charge you...unlike if you are taken on by a recruiter elsewhere...then it cost $200 I think.

Hi shazzamac thanks for bringing it back to the original question. Sorry, but are you able to clarify what you mean here by British recruiter or elsewhere?

12. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

No captain, you don't get it; the world cup winning weightlifter is always right!!!!! No one else has a valid opinion. :D

dumbbells66 likes this.
  13. Mainwaring

Ask your ToK teacher to explain 'non sequitur'.

14. Mainwaring

You are dead right. I DIDN'T get it! It never occurred to me that he was that kind of dumbell.

dumbbells66 likes this.
  15. shazzamac

shazzamac New commenter

Hey. When you sign up for Search you are allocated a 'recruiter', or whatever they call it. Someone who is your go to person, who review your application etc. There are various based around the world. Depending on where you reside, and who your recruiter is (and where they reside) , there might be a charge.
    There website gives info about charges. But when I reactivated my account from years ago I didn't get charged and somehow found out that uk/EU legislation means they can't. My friend in UAE paid $200, but said it was still worth it.

16. theintlteacher

That makes sense. I did join them last year from the UK and it was free. In the end I didn’t use them… I’m now wishing I had. Whether I pay or not, it sounds like they are the best bet along with Schrole.

17. tesolmath

tesolmath New commenter

What are the characteristics of a "first tier" school? What distinguishes a first-tier school from a second-tier international school? Is there a difinitive list? Or would different professionals have different lists? Thanks for any clarification?

18. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

Just because it is on SA you can't assume that it is a great school - there were (last year) some pretty mediocre schools with them. However, I would like to think that the really dodgy ones don't get listed there and due diligence with asking around/internet searches etc should hopefully weed any nasty surprises out.

I also wouldn't get fixated on the school needing to be a tier 1 school (whatever that means). I took a step down last move in supposed tier of school`. My associate said "tier 2 and at lower end" and told me I could do a lot better with my CV and years of experience overseas. This 'ranking' was mostly due to it being a very small school in a fairly unknown location rather than quality of school. I liked the look of it, so ignored him.

I earn only marginally less than I did before, save about the same, have oodles more time, trust from management and space to teach effectively, love the beautiful country/city, magnificent travel options and am very happy with my choice. Best place I have ever been.

I would still use SA as the best option around. The database alone is worth the fee if you end up being in a situation where you are charged for it. Although my associate was telling me I could do better, the information he did have about the school was correct and up to date.

JL48 and marilyn2 like this.
  19. theintlteacher

Thanks rouxx: a really useful post. I’m sure I will be in a similar situation to you. Looking forward to hopefully finding the perfect match.

20. marilyn2

marilyn2 New commenter

Hi roux,
    Can I ask where you are? It sounds ideal!
    Thank you
    M