1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Which are the best recruitment agencies for Tier 1 schools?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by theintlteacher, Jun 16, 2018.

1. theintlteacher

theintlteacher New commenter

Ahead of the new round of recruitment for August 2019 start, I’m interested in your experiences and advice.

tesolmath likes this.
  2. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

Search Associates.

yasf and dumbbells66 like this.
  3. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Possibly Schrole for some top ones mainly in Asia, but very few. Search for all the others. I honestly wouldnt bother with anyone else.

Of course one of the easiest ways is to apply to the directly. The IB's msin website lists all its school on there and gives direct links to the schools websites. Choose where you want to go and apply. Remember there are a hell of a lot more IB schools out there than "British" schools, so it massively increases your chances of employment.

tesolmath and mermy like this.
  4. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

[QUOTE="dumbbells66 Remember there are a hell of a lot more IB schools out there than "British" schools, so it massively increases your chances of employment.[/QUOTE]

But be aware that you are as likely to find yourself in a dodgy IB school as in a dodgy 'British' school. The huge expansion of the IB brand over the past 20 or so years has been accompanied by a corresponding dilution in authorization standards.

T0nyGT and JL48 like this.
  5. rachel_g41

rachel_g41 Occasional commenter

Was looking at your school the other day @dumbbells66 , looks like a very nice part of the world.

6. dumbbells66

It is a great school

7. kemevez

kemevez Occasional commenter

But be aware that you are as likely to find yourself in a dodgy IB school as in a dodgy 'British' school. The huge expansion of the IB brand over the past 20 or so years has been accompanied by a corresponding dilution in authorization standards.[/QUOTE]

Indeed. But the huge increase in numbers of British curriculum schools might outweigh this. I'm with dumbbells66 here - look around and entertain a world you haven't entered.

8. dumbbells66

I honestly can not think of one single British school anywhere in the world i would apply for over a IB school in the same city....not one.

9. Mainwaring

I honestly cannot think of one single school of any description anywhere in the world I would apply to for any reason. Been there, done that. Currently gazing, vino in hand, from our elevated terrace across our blossom-heavy olive trees towards the Pillars of Hercules and the westering sun.

10. dumbbells66

For those of us that still have 20+ years to discover great experiences and places all over the world, i can definitely say i wont be looking at any British school.

11. mermy

mermy Occasional commenter

Oh wow, I didn't know that! I know, late to the party with this knowledge...I teach a subject that's not available in all schools and I did a search with the subject typed in as keyword and I got more results than expected! Even in South America, an area I never thought I'd work. Thanks for this tip, the IB search and ISR will definitely help me find the next perfect job.

tesolmath likes this.
  12. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Thank you for all of the above wonderful comments about the superiority of IB schools (and IB teachers?) It is so helpful and so kind of you to tell us that most (maybe all) of the "British-curriculum" schools are inferior and scummy. Presumably every IB teachers is paid two or three times what useless "UK curriculum" teachers are paid and they are also more active, intelligent and irresistible to the opposite sex.

There is, however, just one little problem with all of this "We love IB" propaganda and self-praise. Most teachers in the UK are trained and experienced in the UK curriculum, not in the IB. The above posts say absolutely nothing about how a teacher in the UK can get an international teaching job without having any IB training. And how does a UK-based teacher get IB training if they are in the UK and doing a full-time job?

Incidentally, I have met some teachers who have taught in "British curriculum" schools and who have also taught in schools that followed the IB's younger brother, the PYP. They all said the same thing: the PYP is not as good.

Incidentally, the OP's original question was about "Tier 1" schools, not about IB schools. The assumption was that all Tier 1 schools must be IB schools. But hey ho, I am (or I was) just a primary teacher and I am not an IB teacher, so therefore my opinion about anything is of no value whatsoever.

13. aideng

aideng New commenter

I have recently been buffing up my linkedin profile, and after a cursory search, I found that it is possible to connect with school leaders and headmasters from schools (tier 1 and otherwise) all over Shanghai, and I imagine all around the world as well.

Has anyone use linkedin job searches, or reached out to potential emplioyers on linkedin to secure a job?

Cheers

14. february31st

february31st Established commenter

With LinkedIn if you are a shortage subject the Head of school and HR will come looking for you via a search of all the profiles, I am still getting 1 or 2 job offers per week at the moment. This is down from 3 or 4 in February!

Also a great number of schools post job advertisements directly onto the LinkedIn site so its worth checking everyday. Its also a useful research on schools to see what they are like as some publish large number of articles about themselves.

15. Mainwaring

The IB is not just the IBDP. The International Baccalaureate has three programmes: the PYP, the MYP and the Diploma. As a Head of School I have been responsible for the delivery of all three. I have taught English and been i/c Theory of Knowledge in the DP and taught Spanish in the PYP. I have introduced the DP in two schools. Many schools offering the DP avoid the Peep and the Meep in favour of British or other curricula. In fact the DP supremo in Latin America advised me to offer IGCSE rather than MYP. Any teacher trained and experienced in British curriculum can learn to teach the I.B.

As an ex ToK teacher I'll happily debate the above with anybody who can tell the difference between argument and assertion, but they'll need to do better than parrot 'IB: Good, British:Bad'.

yasf, Redparrotfish and spanboy like this.
  16. theintlteacher

theintlteacher New commenter

Yes I’m also going to be using my LinkedIn page and from September it will read ‘searching for new opportunities’. Hope some job offers will find me. I’ve had several from recruiters for UK schools in the past, but not ready to go back. Yet. Yes to IB schools: keen to get into one next year.

17. nemo.

nemo. Occasional commenter

It is true than many IB schools now are hell holes to work in. IB really need to up their QA game.

But in real IB schools do note you are joining what is in effect a Cult. Like a religious cult you must quickly learn to chant the standard meaningless blurb. I personally love the IBDP and its overall balanced education. But I am not a cult member. I left the world of investment banking and management consultancy to get away with cultish use of meaningless terminology and do something real.

Btw what is a British school these days? Igcse?

yasf likes this.
  18. dumbbells66

you are a bit behind the times old boy, its four programmes now, and has been for a while. although the take up of the CP programme has been extremely limited, and from what i can see mainly in some schools in England and very very little elsewhere.

19. spanboy

spanboy Occasional commenter

Having now taught both MYP and (i)GCSE I prefer the latter. I love the DP and think it is a great prep for Uni and an all-round post-16 education. But imho (i)GCSEs offer more concrete subject knowledge which is later needed in the DP, certainly in my subject.

20. february31st

february31st Established commenter

Also consider some University do not accept IBDP for sone advanced subjects because studenrs can not take the 3 science's.

Some students I know had to take a years Pre Med course before the start of a medical degree. One student cried her eyes out after been refused entrance to a veterinarian school because she did not have 3 sciences.

Many Asian parents regard the IB program as liquid diarrhoea, there is nothing solid in it!

You should also consider the American system and the Australian system has many schools in SE Asia. Dont rule out the second tier schools as these often now pay more then the so called first tier rent-a-name schools. Better work life balance and only 10% of the BS you will find in the 1st tier schools.

Redparrotfish likes this.