1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Which application form should I use?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by uncle_kurn, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Hello,
    I have been posted an application form from a school I wish to apply to within a pack I requested. I have also found the same form on another school's website within the same LEA in an electronic format, which would be much easier to type out. The posted application form has been professionally printed, it's in colour and has extra logos (Investor In People, etc...) on the front cover. Would using the electronic form have a negative effect on my application or would it show initiative?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Hello,
    I have been posted an application form from a school I wish to apply to within a pack I requested. I have also found the same form on another school's website within the same LEA in an electronic format, which would be much easier to type out. The posted application form has been professionally printed, it's in colour and has extra logos (Investor In People, etc...) on the front cover. Would using the electronic form have a negative effect on my application or would it show initiative?
    Thanks in advance.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

If they're within the same LEA theyre probably the same forms.
    In my LEA the pages are stapled together, so I use an electronic version for most pages & attach them to the fancy one at the front.
    Having said that, I haven't managed to get interviews, though like you I'd though the use of an electronic one (which I compiled myself using the LEA as a template) would count as initiative so perhaps not such a good idea?

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I would think that the school would prefer its own form, with its logos. Lara's suggestion might work - check it out to see if it is just the first page that is different, and the rest is the same. You can then fill in the rest electronically, attach it to their front page and post it off.
    Rather than showing initiative, to send in an electronic form by e-mail when they have given you a printed one might seem as though you are scattering applications almost at random to any school in the Local Authority.
    To get your
    application as effective as possible, read the advice inside the Welcome
    thread. Lots of posters have found it gets results. It's free advice,
    and it works!

Dear Theo: Executive summary works- I have an interview

The benefit of an executive summary

taking Theo's Advice

Best of luck

TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.

The TES Careers Advice
    service runs seminars, one-to-one careers and applications advice,
    one-to-one interview coaching and an application review service.

I shall be doing Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contributing to the Job Application Seminars over February half term. We shall be looking at application letters, executive summaries and interviews. Contact advice@tes.co.uk for more details.

Look forward to seeing you then!

5. As Theo said, use their form, they are a bit anal about altering forms and using other forms.

I presume you've checked the schools web site to see if they have one on there. Alternatly phone the school up and ask if they've got a digital version.

However if you're only option id to write it by hand, just evaluate if it's worth doing. If you can't be bothered doing it by hand do you option, what have you got to lose.