1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Which agencies are any good?

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by DonutBoy99, Nov 26, 2010.

1. DonutBoy99

DonutBoy99 New commenter

Greetings all,
    I'm looking to slightly expand my portfolio of tuition work, and wonder what the better agencies are? I've used Personal Tutors, but find them a little amateur and expensive in terms of their cut (at almost a fiver an hour). I've also used First Tutors, but sadly, they don't supply many leads, although their cut is more reasonable, as they just charge the tutee an intial 'finders fee'.
    If anyone had anything to say (good or bad) about any other national operators, I would be glad to hear your throughts. I'm less keen to go with ones who fix the rate you can charge at what I would perceive to be lower than the going rate (which I consider to be £30 an hour for A level).
    Cheers!
    DonutBoy.

2. DonutBoy99

DonutBoy99 New commenter

Greetings all,
    I'm looking to slightly expand my portfolio of tuition work, and wonder what the better agencies are? I've used Personal Tutors, but find them a little amateur and expensive in terms of their cut (at almost a fiver an hour). I've also used First Tutors, but sadly, they don't supply many leads, although their cut is more reasonable, as they just charge the tutee an intial 'finders fee'.
    If anyone had anything to say (good or bad) about any other national operators, I would be glad to hear your throughts. I'm less keen to go with ones who fix the rate you can charge at what I would perceive to be lower than the going rate (which I consider to be £30 an hour for A level).
    Cheers!
    DonutBoy.

3. Ravena

Ravena New commenter

Have you tried tutors4me, The Tutor Pages or Tutor Hunt?
    You have to pay to advetise on The Tutor Pages but if you get no enquiries, you get your money back at the end of the year.
    I've found First Tutors the best so far, however.

4. Ditto. 7 leads in 4 months, all leading to bookings. I think that a good profile and good feedback is the key to getting a good stream of work.

5. DonutBoy99

DonutBoy99 New commenter

Thanks very much for the pointers, I have perused them in the past and may give them a go now.
    I didn't follow it up first time round as I felt that my services might get lost in the plethora of tutors advertising in any given area, and not being able to compete on grounds of cost with those advertising at £20 an hour or less. I appreciate you are highly likely to get what you pay for, but you can't blame parents for trying their luck at the cheaper end of the market first.
    Any other routes in addition to the straight ad on a tutoring website?
    Cheers!
    DonutBoy

6. Get your own website, from google for free.
    http://www.gbbo.co.uk/?utm_source=google&utm_mediu&
    Free .co.uk domain name and easy to build. Get some business cards from moo.com. Get some flyers made at your local printers for about £50.
    Once you have a bit of a reputation your customers will pass your business cards to their friends in the playground, once they do that you are in business.

7. DonutBoy99

DonutBoy99 New commenter

FWIW: Business Cards- I had some done by Vistaprint, and despite paying for so-called 'premium' card I was most unimpressed. Glad I didn't get their cheaper and nastier version!

I'll be in the market for new cards sooner than I imagined - sadly not because of a boom in business, but because Sky, (who own my ukonline email address) have decided to kill it off - "to better serve our customers". As our American friends would say, Go Figure...

D Boy

8. Ravena

Ravena New commenter

DC88: Thank you for the link to getting a free website. I have now created one. However, I don't know how to make my site appear on a google search? (not on he ads on the right-hand-side, just the fneeral search results). I've tried typing a whole sentence from my site into google, yet my site will not come up. Any tips on what I should be doing??
    Thanks,
    Ravena

9. Hi Ravena,
    What's your domain?
    dc88