1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Which A-Level Business course to offer?

Discussion in 'Business studies' started by Barneyy2k, May 8, 2013.

1. Hi,
    We are changing from BTEC Level 3 to A Level Business in September. In your opinion, which exam board would you recommend? I am thinking about results, text books and resources available.

Thanks for your help [​IMG]

2. lord sutch

lord sutch New commenter

For me, personally I would go with AQA for GCE. Everyone has their own opinion with regards to choice of A level but in terms of support, resources available, text books etc) then AQA is by far the most widely supported.
    However, it also depends on your students and that nature of the students that you get. Some exam boards are more suited to certain students...

3. Its going to be weird next year. I use AQA Business Studies too, but the syllabus has elements where paper 2 extends skills from paper 1. This was fine when we (as most school) sat paper 1 in Jan and paper 2 in June, but is a nightmare to plan now some t**t decided january modules are unfair!

4. lord sutch

lord sutch New commenter

Indeed. However, I still think it would work best to teach it in order as the whole idea behind the AQA was that it tells a story from business idea, planning it, developing it into a medium sized business, moving to board level and then beyond for BUSS4.
    I know some teachers are going to try and teach AS by topic but in all honesty I think this will be more confusing for the students as BUSS1 is all about the business planning etc.

5. Agreed, Will be interesting to see what 2015 syllabus brings.
    (Shakes head at the thought of not being able to mark BUSS3 in Jan and BUSS4 in June next year therefore being in excess of £1,500 worse off not to mention AQA losing a high examiner!)

6. lord sutch

lord sutch New commenter

Also agreed.
    I mark BUSS1 and BUSS3 twice a year (doing BUSS1 and BUSS3 this summer as well as GCSE Edexcel) so Im doubly hit.
    Think of the free time though :)

7. Totally80s

Totally80s New commenter

WJEC all the way.