1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Where's the protest march?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Landofla, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Landofla

Landofla Established commenter

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a protest planned? Recently, there are so many of us disgruntled teachers posting on here about the way the education system is being run that I'm assuming someone has taken the bull by the horns and organised one. It is about time we told the country how we feel.

There must be a protest march planned. I hope it's big with lots of red crosses on it!!!

2. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

Teachers tend to lack the courage to stand up for themselves, or for their legal rights.
    Too posh to strike?

Compassman likes this.
  3. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I went on strike in the 1980s, I went on marches, I was a school Union Rep....

Bloody waste of time that was...:rolleyes:

4. Landofla

Well I ain't.

Too busy, perhaps...

But seriously, it needs to be done.

5. Landofla

That was then, this is now @FrankWolley

What do you suggest then? Do nothing can't be an option.

6. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I think those leaving the profession (or the country) are making a rational decision, and if enough continue to do so it will be more effective than striking.

7. Landofla

I disagree, having left and come back myself.

The children of tomorrow don't have the time to wait for that to take effect.

8. Landofla

Shocked that so many teachers on here complain yet seem unwilling to do anything about it.

Is no one willing to march in protest?

Compassman likes this.
  9. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

I remember our "working to rule" etc and what did it do for us? It produced a prime minister Thatcher who was determined to grind teachers down. As a result....we got Ofsted and all the rest of the stuff that has changed teaching and schools.
    Instead of marching we need a well planned campaign of public information as to what is happening in schools now.
    I think one good start would be that schools have to notify parents whenever their child is supervised - I will not say "taught" by an unqualified person, I include TAs in that.

schoolsout4summer and cazzmusic1 like this.
  10. Landofla

I'm ok with a well planned campaign. Just something needs to be done.

I agree with your point on notifying parents but I don't see that as the starting point. I don't know how schools get away with that.

schoolsout4summer and Compassman like this.
  11. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

They do because we are so busy being politically correct in that we couldn't possibly identify the fact that Mr/Ms T A is in fact a teaching assistant and not a teacher...... The pupils have no idea who is who. I know of quite a few places where the most needy pupils, those probably bringing most money into the school are often closeted away with a TA, scarcely seeing a teacher, instead of being with a qualified teacher.

12. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

being a professional used to include a duty of care, to pass the job onto the next generation in a fit state to continue. All us cowards are passing on an impossible career to the youngsters coming in. No wonder so many leave within two years.

schoolsout4summer and Landofla like this.
  13. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

I think you have knocked the nail on the head there.

In theory, teachers should be able to fight against the ever increasing workload. Most teachers are in unions (albeit different ones) but when push comes to shove they won't do anything to oppose the ever continuing attack on their working conditions. There is just the blind acceptance of 'this is just the way it is'. Those that do make a stand are victimised and eased out with settlement agreements.

Whilst I am a firm advocate of 'you are the union' I do find that union officers do not often support their members and will often just go for the easy option for teachers (the settlement agreement for example).

What needs to happen is for the unions to become much more proactive but that also needs the teachers themselves to become proactive but sadly apathy rules.

schoolsout4summer and Landofla like this.