1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Where's the missing 50 billion quid?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by modelmaker, Sep 20, 2020.

1. modelmaker

modelmaker Star commenter

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/experts-baffled-50-billion-worth-22701726

"Experts are baffled about the whereabouts of about £50-billion worth of banknotes which are supposed to be circulating through the UK economy.

A report by the National Audit Office (NAO) has admitted that it knows next to nothing about the cash, which is not being used for transactions or identified as savings held by UK households."

Any guesses what happened to it? Could it have been spent on cash in hand jobs undertaken by furloughed workers? Spent on drugs during lockdown? Stashed away in mattresses in case there's a financial crash when Brexit kicks in next year, or saved to have ready to buy black market goods rather than starve after 1/1/21?

2. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

If it was cash in hand or drugs, it would be there, but in the wrong bits of the economy.
    I'm not currently fearful for our country's financial institutions, but interest rates are so low, there's little point in many "savings accounts". I suspect there's a lot under the mattress or sitting unused in wallets because everything is cashless now.

3. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

"Shhh. Keep it under your hat"
    upload_2020-9-20_14-15-52.jpeg

4. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

We've got a few hundred under the mattress (joke...!) just in case the ATMS run out after a No Deal Brexit.

5. LiveToWin

LiveToWin Established commenter

I haven't got it.
    If I did I wouldn't be wasting my time on here.....

nizebaby and emerald52 like this.
  6. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

Me neither- mind you I did have a Premium Bond win yesterday....£25. Always keep some cash at home in case ATM’s go down. Suspect organised criminals have a lot of cash stashed away.

mothorchid likes this.
  7. Nellyfuf2

Nellyfuf2 Lead commenter

It's being laundered?

8. tujeste

tujeste New commenter

Just checked my bank statements and wallet. I last took cash out the bank (£50) in March - I still have £45 in my wallet. Not sure where the other £49,999,999,955 is

emerald52 and nizebaby like this.
  9. costermonger

costermonger Occasional commenter

They probably told Grayling to look after it.

Morninglover likes this.
  10. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

Should have been ironed and neatly folded by now.