1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

where's the best place/country you have taught?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by willettes2282, Aug 31, 2011.

1. I've just sent loads of CV'c with fingers crossed to some international schools mostly in spain and portugal. I was wondering where the best places/countries that others have taught are?[​IMG]

2. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

Well, I'm currently living in Berlin and think it's a great place. Lots of lakes, forests and rivers. Germany certainly seems a good place to live. The only downside for me is that I find the language very hard (much harder than French).

I also, lived for 6 years in NZ, which is a wonderful country, but it is a long way from everywhere except Oz. With a very elderly mother (and an even older father, until about 10 days ago), it's part of the reason I moved back to Europe. Also, if you like skiing, or northern hemisphere mountains, then those southern hemisphere school holidays won't suit you. But few of us can have everything.

Work wise, in most places your UK qualifications will suffice, but in NZ you will only get provisional teaching registration (and registration is required even for private schools) which will put you at a competitive disadvantage.

3. I went to NZ for a rugby tour. I had language difficulties (much harder than French).

4. miketribe

miketribe Occasional commenter

I've taught in Iran and Spain and loved them both...

5. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

In chronological order:
    Bristol, York, Neasden, Shrewsbury, Buenos Aires, Cali, Montevideo, and
    'here'.
    Loved them all, few regrets.
    Love 'here' more than ever in these hard times.
    Also love Mike Tribe for his passion for Iran, and hope he will be able to visit Teheran again one day.
    Much easier for him will be a visit to our soccer fields, 'here', where there will always be a welcome...

6. What absolute rot. Provisional registration is what any teacher has to go through before getting full registration in NZ. Unless you are a Beginning Teacher (NQT) there is no disadvantage whatsoever in having only provisional registration. It certainly wasn't for me, and in fact it never even came up during recruitment; all they wanted to know was whether I was registered, i.e. legally permitted to teach. A teacher simply gives the school their registration number.
    After a set period of time a piece of paper is sent away and the registration becomes a full one. Simple.

7. David Getling

I don't know how ancient you are, so maybe things have changed since you started. Provisional teachers are meant to have a reduced workload and receive mentoring. So, unless a school is prepared to break the rules (and we all know how much schools love rules) which applicant do you think is a better deal for the school, Mr Full-Reg (who will do the full timetable and doesn't need his hand held) or Mr Provisional?

And don't forget Mr Full-Reg doesn't cost the school more as teachers salaries are paid by the Ministry of Education. It's a no-brainer who the preferred applicant is going to be.

I was trying to give the OP a bit of honest advice and help. I think you were just trying to have a go at me.

8. expat2001

expat2001 New commenter

I taught in Jamaica for a year fresh out of university. Although I had no formal training at the time it was the most rewarding and memorable experiences of my life. Having worked in Spain for the last 10 years I have yet to recapture the vibrancy and itensity of that experience. Not sure that I would be able to go back and do it again but I think the point is that, for most of us, our experiences and expectations shift as our careers develop and our years advance.

9. Whereas, most of us make it brick in the face, obvious! [​IMG]

10. Year 1 and 2 teachers, and teachers new to NZ, are entitled to a time allowance for their own development towards full registration. This time allowance is provided to schools and is tagged for the individual teacher in the operations grant.

11. David Getling

So, feijoa, what I think you are saying is that the school would be allowed to employ someone else to make up for the time allowance. This I didn't realise, and it certainly goes some way to levelling the playing field. However, it's still harder to find someone extra to teach those few hours than just employing a fully timetabled teacher. And there's still the mentoring requirement, which I think the the Teachers Council has recently made somewhat more onerous.

I'd personally be very happy to be wrong about all of this, since on returning to NZ it will cause problems for me.

12. I've never worked in a school where the required staffing could be satisfied with whole number FTTEs. Combinations of full and part time teachers are the norm in most schools.
    The mentoring is no more onerous than any good performance management system - all teachers have a right to good coaching/mentoring.

13. David Getling

Thanks for that Yasimum.

14. Botswana, China, Russia, Botswana, Tajikistan, Yemen, Qatar, South Africa - all been good in their own way. The same can't be said for the organisations/schools I worked for.

15. New Zealand, England, Australia, Singapore... well, better than a poke in the eye with a burned stick!