1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Where's good to go on holiday in August? Fancy somewhere a bit different!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by chocolateheaven, Mar 3, 2007.

1. chocolateheaven

chocolateheaven New commenter

Hello! I need to go on holiday at the start of August due to other summer commitments. I am sick of Greece, Spain etc, don't like the Canaries or the Balearics - basically bored of the usual European destinations. I fancy going somewhere a bit different, and have some more disposable income this year than usual so can afford a bit more - though don't want to spend a ridiculous amount.

Like places with things to do and a culture different to our own to experience. Also like it hot, and quite like beaches - although they're not absolutely necessary. A friend of mine just paid £1000 a head for all inclusive in Cuba, only to find out she's booked mid-hurricane season! Don't want this to happen to me!

Any suggestions?

2. chocolateheaven

Hello! I need to go on holiday at the start of August due to other summer commitments. I am sick of Greece, Spain etc, don't like the Canaries or the Balearics - basically bored of the usual European destinations. I fancy going somewhere a bit different, and have some more disposable income this year than usual so can afford a bit more - though don't want to spend a ridiculous amount.

Like places with things to do and a culture different to our own to experience. Also like it hot, and quite like beaches - although they're not absolutely necessary. A friend of mine just paid £1000 a head for all inclusive in Cuba, only to find out she's booked mid-hurricane season! Don't want this to happen to me!

Any suggestions?

3. A friend of mine has just come back from a diving holiday in the Maldives. She seemed to have had a good time!

4. white water rafting somewhere?

5. cornflake

cornflake Occasional commenter

I went to Cuba in hurricane season - but didn't get one! They don't happen ALL the time. And actually, Cuba has such a good advance warning system, it's a good place to risk it :)

6. snowboarder

snowboarder New commenter

7. chocolateheaven

Had a lovely holiday in a qiet part of Turkey a few years ago... had been warned off it recently though, people keep telling me it's not safe. Would you be influenced by that?

8. cornflake

cornflake Occasional commenter

No! Not really. Check FCO website for advice.
    But then I'm travelling to the Middle East over Easter :)

9. snowboarder

snowboarder New commenter

I went last year for my honeymoon and everyone was so friendly out there. Basically anywhere can be dangerous, think there are ETA in spain etc. So no I would not be influenced by it.

Unfortunately have lost the link to a great holiday site that has some boutique hotels that are really cheap in Turkey.

10. The eastern block countries like Bulgaria or Slovakia.

Or for something more exotic, someone posted a link to zanzibar on a previous holiday thread. It looked fantastic.

11. ive just come back from tunisia and it was warm now so i imagine it'll be lovely in summer x

12. Estonia. went there at the end of july a couple of years ago, and the weather was great. warm and sunny, but not sweltering.
    it's beautiful, and the people are lovely.

13. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Morocco? Croatia?

Not sure Croatia is very culturally different though. Nor is anywhere if you stay at a beach resort.

India. Travel costs aren't too bad. I like
    www.responsibletravel.co.uk.

Look at that for ideas.

I'm going to Senegal soon as it's French-speaking.

14. Sri Lanka. Haven't been there myself but daughter and various others have and loved it - beaches, temples, hills, elephants. A slight risk but easy to avoid main trouble-spots.

15. Sicily - beautiful place with gorgeous food.

16. Sardinia - have raved on about this beautiful island before on these threads.

Corsica - never been but meant to be gorgeous

Malta - But go away from main tourist bits and hire a car.

17. We're hoping to go to Sicily again this summer but we're gonna go by train. Eurostar to Paris, overnight sleeper to Rome, overnight sleeper to Palermo. Sounds amazing and costs £280, which obviously includes 2 nights' accomodation!

18. chocolateheaven

I went to Malta a few years ago and really really disliked it! Gozo was gorgeous though... Some good suggestions here, places I'd never even thought of before! Any companies better than others? Hate 18-30 places and the associated resorts.

19. chocolateheaven

kcmatt, who've you booked that through?

20. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Love Malta, lived there for 3 years. Try Iran, Kazakhstan, Syria, Lebanon, Jordan-Petra is fabulous, really want to see it. Bahrain, Oman, Algeria, Libya is interesting, especially Leptis Magna.