1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the new look TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide in the welcome lounge and help forum.

Where's best to live on the South coast & commute to London?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by sesame1, Jul 22, 2013.

1. sesame1

sesame1 New commenter

An Italian acquaintance of mine will be working in London (twice-three times a week) from September and has asked me where's best to live on the South coast - she's not too keen on London, too £££-, decent place + value for money.

I'm not quite sure TBH... Brighton's lovely but I'd hate to think how much the season-ticket would be (does anyone know?), not to mention local accommodation prices. Any suggestions? (what's Margate like these days?).

2. inky

inky Established commenter

Hastings is on the up, and its still quite affordable.

3. phlogiston

phlogiston Senior commenter

London's a big place - the train needs to stop near where she works. I hope she's either wealthy or in a well paid job!

4. she may also wish to check how crowded trains get - i have known commuters from kent who have resorted to 1st class season tickets even when they could get seats because the carriages got so unpleasantly crowded between their station and london

5. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Senior commenter

Brighton-easy train line to Kings Cross

6. lapinrose

lapinrose Senior commenter

Polegate, just outside Eastbourne, direct connection to Victoria and cheaper than Eastbourne.

7. lapinrose

London Victoria not King's Cross.

8. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

The Thameslink line runs from Brighton into London Bridge then through the city to Kings Cross.

9. lapinrose

OK, I'd forgotten about that one. Most trains do go to Victoria from the south coast, from Hastings along to Worthing.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Folkestone. London takes less than an hour.

11. sesame1

sesame1 New commenter

Thanks all!

(what a nightmare to find a thread on this website now!)

12. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Senior commenter

also might be useful if she ca motor to a station and park and ride.....jaguar train runs down to kent....ashford used to be cheap.

13. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Senior commenter

14. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Senior commenter

That makes for interesting reading, Olds.

We used to live in Brighton, and then just outside Hove. Following a recent trip to Brighton I nostalgically thought it might be nice to move back down there - until I checked out the house prices. Now that the place is so hip and trendy that the world and his wife want to live there the prices have rocketed. Go along the coast to Worthing and you get far better value for money.

15. sesame1

sesame1 New commenter

Thanks you two, very interesting data Oldso.