1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Where would you like your ashes scattered?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by emilystrange, Feb 19, 2016.

1. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

Just been reading about a friend finding the spot up in the moors where her dad had said he wanted his to be scattered.
    I thought about this for a while, and couldn't think of anywhere. Nowhere round here. I've lived here for nearly 30 years, but it's not anywhere that's kind of 'sacred' to me, if you understand. Nowhere is. Some places that meant something aren't there any more anyway.

That's if I end up being cremated, of course!

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Into the North Sea at Scarborough

sparklepig2002 likes this.
  3. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Maleficent says that I shall be buried. I think she has plans for a solar-powered defibrillator to give me a surprise in the coffin.

sabrinakat and magic surf bus like this.
  4. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Not really fussed - too late to worry.

5. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Heysham Head
    heysham.jpg

Dragonlady30 and rosievoice like this.
  6. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Don't care. I think it's more a ceremony for the people doing it so wherever they fancy really.

7. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

Mr S has an uncle who decided to scatter Grandma's ashes in a park. Without telling the other siblings,until much later. He also kept some of her belongings, without them being aware that he had them in the first place.

8. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I'd like to become part of my favourite beach.

Lara mfl 05 and Motherofchikkins like this.
  9. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Don't care. I'm aiming for an eco-burial in a cardboard box in woodland. Like my mother.

Food for worms.

Lara mfl 05, InkyP and racroesus like this.
  10. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

You and me both.

11. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

OH and my ashes will be scattered with our daughter's. Her ashes were scattered with OHs parents.

I think it's important that family know wishes of their relatives as it saves all sorts of misunderstandings.

12. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

In the same box? How very presumptuous of you! ;)

Oh, go on then! As it's you.

13. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

We kept my mother-in-law's ashes in the house for about a year as Mr jubilee wasn't ready to scatter them and was undecided where they should go. I started to feel uneasy every time I passed the cupboard with the urn.
    She was eventually scattered in the same area that she had chosen for my father-in-law's ashes.

I'm not sure where I'd want to be scattered. I'll almost certainly be cremated. The land requirements for cemeteries would be too great if too many of us opted for burial. My daughter insists that she wants to be buried. She's very much into history and family tree research and gravestones provide useful data!

I might perhaps ask family to scatter me on the former 'ancestral' land in Italy. My mother was unsuccessful in gaining her share of the family farm that her father grew up on(and inherited with his siblings) and financially supported (as an economic migrant to the UK in 1912). It was eventually sold but I could stake a postumous return! I have visited and it's a beautiful setting (not that I'd be able to see anything)

14. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Lovely, but sad. I remember you telling us a little about your daughter....

In my case, I would like my ashes scattered in the forum in Rome and in the garden at my Oxford college (where my pet hamster was buried) IF I AM CREMATED. May go for the other option....

Can I still haunt people if I am cremated?

Dragonlady30 likes this.
  15. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I'm donating my body to medical students (if they'll have me)
    I can be useful even when dead, and also my daughter won't have the burden and expense of arranging a cremation/funeral/coffin. She can throw a memorial service and wake for me if she wants to.
    "Win", as they say, "win"...

16. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Only if you can whistle a haunting melody.

sabrinakat likes this.
  17. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

My friend's ashes were mixed up with Earl Grey tea leaves (her favourite) and scattered around rose bushes.
    I want to be put into one of our compost bins, but Mr Voice isn't too keen, the wuss.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  18. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

I'm thinking about this too. I was looking at real human brains the other day, and I felt very grateful to whoever it was that decided to donate their body so that I could use it to learn stuff.

coffeekid likes this.
  19. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

felt hungry?

20. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

upload_2016-2-19_17-47-54.jpeg

That is if I am cremated. I'd prefer an eco burial in some woods.