1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Where would you go?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by 123flowers, May 27, 2020.

1. 123flowers

123flowers Occasional commenter

Hey guys! hope everybody is ok and surviving this awfulness. Life in Dubai is starting to get back to normal and it feels good. I know we haven’t even finished this year yet and nowhere near thinking of next year ( well I am hah) I just wanted to know where is the best place you have worked? is there anywhere you worked and would avoid? I know everybody is different, it’s just good to hear everybody’s experiences. I am open to going anywhere really. I love Dubai but do fancy a change.

I’d love Singapore but I’m aware it’s a very crowded market. I’d also love Italy but I’m aware it doesn’t pay the best. Pay isn’t everything but I do need to be able to live and have a life hah. I love to travel.

I’m single as a pringle so happy to spread the wings anywhere, so any suggestions would be great! :) just abit of fun x

2. Mr robinson

Mr robinson New commenter

Thailand is the best country I worked in. China the worst.

IndigoViolence likes this.
  3. Jonny29102

Jonny29102 New commenter

If you're financially secure I would consider heading to Europe. If not, stay in the middle east or Asia.

4. teachersn

teachersn New commenter

Where does the UK fit in? Is China really that bad?

5. TeacherMan19

TeacherMan19 Occasional commenter

I enjoy China.

grdwdgrrrl likes this.
  6. Jason_Bourne_

Jason_Bourne_ Established commenter

China is not a bad place to live and work as an expat. Decent packages, fairly good cost of living, opportunities to explore a different culture, lots of travel opportunities. We're saving more money here than in any other location that we've lived in.

grdwdgrrrl likes this.
  7. Bioteach

Bioteach New commenter

I preferred China to Thailand. To work in anyway. Obviously holidays in Thailand are fantastic.

8. Ms_Love_

Ms_Love_ Occasional commenter

I've enjoyed my two years in China, the salary and housing have been decent and the students are simply wonderful! The workload was so much less than the UK and I've only ever worked on Saturday here. I find Chinese people to be very helpful, hardworking and hospitable. Don't believe the bad press!

There are some Chinese bilingual schools here that will be throwing some serious money to teachers now who are able to come from different parts of China. I'm only leaving the PRC because I got an even better salary elsewhere and my SO got a promotion.

9. percy topliss

percy topliss Established commenter

The Middle East wasn't for us although we have friends who we started with there and who have stayed for years. China bought us our first house but once you have been there for three or four years even the Great Wall pales a little and it was cold in the winter! Malaysia was a little like New Zealand, akin to living in the 1950's but with a much more polarised population and, probably, less money. For us it has always been Thailand since we first came here in 1997. There are a few bad schools and there are a few schools that think that they are much better than they actually are. However, there are some fantastic places which don't get written about much, pay very well and afford you a fantastic lifestyle. Up until recently it was possibly the cheapest hub in the area for flights within S.E.Asia and you can either live like a Queen or you can save lolly and live it up during the hols.

Choose Wisely!

Perce

10. benji321

benji321 New commenter

Thailand for me too. Was there 7 years but have also been in Madrid, Taiwan, Bali, China and currently S. Korea.

There are so many variables and so much depends on your circumstances and what you want and need out of life/career at any particular stage.

I now make more money than ever before but am not especially happy at the school. However, I do now have a young daughter which was not a consideration before and especially now it is a safe and secure place to live and we have a nursery provided.

As you are single pringle as mentioned above Thailand offers so many great experiences and (Covid willing) lots of good schools.

11. grdwdgrrrl

grdwdgrrrl Occasional commenter

Loved Shanghai, were there for a lot of years. Malaysia was ok but pay wasn't great. Thailand treats us well but the kids preferred Penang. I prefer a city myself but when the kids were smaller Penang was ideal. I would love to return to Shanghai though.

12. SecondPlace

SecondPlace Occasional commenter

What do you like to do? Are you looking for cities, for countryside, for concerts, arts, theatre...

China is vast and diverse and relatively well placed to explore a lot of Asia.

Central Asia is probably more unknown but that could be a big attraction.

Eastern Europe - better packages than Western Europe and you'll save way more and have access to a lot of culture and nature.

Western Europe - perhaps more familiar, but less savings. Switzerland has great nature and all very accessible.

13. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

For me South America, yes the money wasn't great but I was single then and the travelling and the lifestyle made up for that big time. Peru was absolutely amazing, coastal desert, the Andes and the Amazon, nowhere like it on earth (and the food!). Chile, 70 km to the beach and 70 km the other way to go skiing, lakes, fjords, forests, volcanoes (active) and the food! Argentina, Iguazu, Patagonia, Mendoza, Buenos Aires, plus the food! But at the end of the day it depends what you are looking for?

Mainwaring likes this.
  14. tb9605

tb9605 Established commenter

If it was up to me (which it isn't - beloved wife holds a veto on these things) I'd be in South or Central America. Never been: hence the attraction!

15. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

Only done two countries. The first was in the ME and pretty sure we won't be back there any time soon! The second is China, pretty good financially and pretty good schools, but I've had the sense (from before COVID-19) that things are going to become more uncomfortable for foreigners in the next few years.

I think everyone would love Singapore, but Thailand appeals too, even Vietnam. We'll see....

16. 4019775

4019775 New commenter

1990's Vancouver (paradise lost). Rural Queensland.

Worst place Vancouver 2016

Last edited: May 28, 2020
  17. adultsocialcare

adultsocialcare Occasional commenter

Vietnam would get my vote. I've been twice but only for hols. Love the place. Great food, beaches, easy to travel and very inexpensive. There seems to be a steady stream of fairly well paid teaching jobs there. Hanoi is the place to be IMHO. Historic, fantastic around the huge lake every weekend, when it's pedestrian's only.

BertorErnie and Ms_Love_ like this.
  18. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

Depending on how long you intend working overseas and also what your financial situation and plans are, I would do the following:
    Spend around 10 years somewhere that pays well (ie you can put away at least £1500 a month) and that, at least, has a good lifestyle and living conditions. For me, this would be Dubai or Abu Dhabi. There are of course, others
    Spend the rest of the time somewhere that gives a rich living experience, probably in Asia (Thailand, Vietnam etc) or South America

Powergnome3 likes this.