1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Where would I find my GTC number?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by missied, Mar 30, 2016.

1. missied

missied New commenter

I've been asked for it on an application form but don't know where I'd find it. Can anyone help?

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

:D

Are you in England?

In which case you write N/A.

It's an old form, they haven't revised it, the GTC was banished 4 years ago.

Do they ask you for your DfES number too? ;)

P.S. Have you found the 20+ advice articles on different aspects of applications? Tag me @TheoGriff if not, and I'll point you towards them.

Best wishes

3. missied

missied New commenter

Thanks TheoGriff......I thought GTC didn't exist anymore but because it was there thought I had my wires crossed.

Since deciding to leave my current position I have read quite a few of your advice articles and plan to use many of the tips - one of the reasons I posted on here as I didn't want to leave a box empty

4. missied

missied New commenter

Forgot to add they did want DfES number too - which I know already identifies who I am etc

5. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

Unless they're planning to bring it back with the academies. I'm not joking.

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, it's just one of the old names for the teacher reference number.

Best wishes

7. cneash84

cneash84 New commenter

Hi, I have also been asked for a GTC number which I have written as my TRN, but then it asks if I am GTC registered and whether I have paid this years' registration. How should I fill that in?

8. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

If the school is in England they're idiots. The GTC was abolished in 2012 and so was the requirement for teachers to register. So you don't have a GTC number and you pay a registration fee. Have they really not noticed this after 6 years!

https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/general-teaching-council-for-england

Assuming you would quite like to work for them probably best not to tell them they need to update their form, just put N/A against both questions.

9. drvs

drvs Star commenter

Old application form, fill in TRN and leave the rest blank or N/A. Consider not working for a school with such poor processes.