1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Where were all the supply teachers today?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by JTL, Mar 23, 2012.

1. JTL

JTL Occasional commenter

I got a call from the school I do all my supply at this morning at 7.30 to go in for the day. Having had a good week I was hoping not to be called but of course went in. We have to take work when offered for obvious reasons!
    The person who organises cover was having a difficult time, having called all the agencies she uses, around 12, with individual contact names for all of them, but having no luck in getting hold of another supply for the day. (she was already using a couple for the day.) No agency was able to call her back with a teacher to cover.
    So I am wondering, was it due to the lovely weather and supplies had made advance plans to go out for the day, or have so many supply colleagues now given up hope and gone off to other jobs?

2. bigpig

bigpig New commenter

I have recently been thinking the same or similar. I have worked nearly everyday since Christmas on a mixture of weeks and day to day work. I was wondering why I have had such a good amount of supply as Autumn term was terrible. Either there are a lot of 'long term' positions at the moment that everybody is out on or people really have given up due to a total lack of work. I'm not complaining though, it's kept me with some wages. A day off would be nice though.

3. I was on a lovely sunny beach in Dorset yesterday (cheap holdiay). The only LEA supply list I'm registered with called me yesterday - had to tell them I was 250 miles away in a caravan!

4. In my opinion you're better off on the dole than waiting for someone to ring you up in the morning out of the blue.
    If you're signing on you can get jobseekers, housing benefit or mortgage relief and council tax benefit, which is regular, although not briliiant. I don't see the point in randomly doing day to day supply, because it will only mess all this up. You are better putting your energy into getting a proper job. It's true most day to day supply teachers are going to be ones with partners so they can' t get any benefits and are forced into that situation. From what I 'm picking up from the agencies at the moment, they're finding it difficult to get supply staff because most teachers have sacked it off. To be honest if you're an agency cover supervisor you're most definitely better off on the dole,because of what pay you get, unless you can't get the benefits because you're a student or married/civil partnership.

5. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I agree.
    Those of us who have a partner who works 24 hrs + per week, or is taking a pension, have no option but to be available for random supply work as the only JSA we can claim is a maximum of 26 weeks of Contributory at £67-50 per week IF we paid enough NI in the previous 2 full tax years.
    Keeping up that NI record, for future JSA Contributory claims involves getting enough supply work to meet the Lower EARNINGS Level of NI.