1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Where to teach in Australia? Opinions needed....

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by ewhiting10, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Hi everyone - please forgive me for another Australia thread but I have spent an hour reading through them and the teach australia websites and know a fair bit about it but I want people's opinions! Background, I am an NQT in secondary science looking to teach for a year next year (post-QTS) in Australia. I just want to do supply (CRT?) and Melbourne seems to be a popular/easy choice for this but I would prefer somewhere a little warmer. With that in mind I want to know, where else is a good place to teach as an overseas teacher and how easy is it to get work there? I would be applying on the WHV and just looking for casual work - but lots of it!
    I have looked at all the states and am pretty flexible - I just like warm weather and plenty of work so I can save some money - so I think the best option is to hear from those who have done it!
    PLEASE help me :) x

2. Hi everyone - please forgive me for another Australia thread but I have spent an hour reading through them and the teach australia websites and know a fair bit about it but I want people's opinions! Background, I am an NQT in secondary science looking to teach for a year next year (post-QTS) in Australia. I just want to do supply (CRT?) and Melbourne seems to be a popular/easy choice for this but I would prefer somewhere a little warmer. With that in mind I want to know, where else is a good place to teach as an overseas teacher and how easy is it to get work there? I would be applying on the WHV and just looking for casual work - but lots of it!
    I have looked at all the states and am pretty flexible - I just like warm weather and plenty of work so I can save some money - so I think the best option is to hear from those who have done it!
    PLEASE help me :) x

3. Can't help you on the Oz thing as not there yet ourselves (for what it's worth, we are thinking either Adelaide in SA (probably far far too cold for you), Melbourne or ACT (keep hearing there is loads of CRT there from various sources) but then we don't like it ultra hot or humid), but this made me go 'argh' - you already have QTS, it is not dependant on your NQT year - if you fail your NQT you don't loose your QTS, you just can't teach in a UK state school (at the moment). Completely bizarre unjoined up system, but for some reason it annoys me when people think they don't get QTS until they finish their NQT year. Sorry. rant over now :)

4. In terms of temperature, so long as you stay out of Tasmania and the Alps (not the high country), The average temperature of anywhere in Australia is going to be higher than that in the UK. In summer a great deal higher. Yes, I know the eastcoast has had an unusually mild and wet summer I rescued my plants from drowning. But WA has had the longest heatwave in it's history. Put it this way, how often does anywhere in the UK get to 35 degrees a mild temp for most places in Australia during summer? Let alone our summer standard 40 degress in most capitals. When Australians complain about cold temperatures we generally mean anything lower than 20 degrees (ok slight exaggeration 15 degrees)[​IMG] . This winter we had more sun than I saw in my summers in the UK.
    I can confirm the ACT is desperate for supply teachers, especially good ones. I have missed out on CPD etc as a result of not being able to get cover.
    As a general rule everywhere needs day to day supply the issue is understanding the system and being able to make your availablity known to schools. The next issue is building a good reputation for yourself in the schools you work in. One qualifying statement there. Working in a popular retirement area may not work too well for you.
    A word of advice if you want to do supply in Australia you will need a car. It is very hard if not impossible without one. Unless, you are in inner Melbourne or Sydney and even then......

5. Thanks Bowtruckle - will check it out. There's just so many options I can't decide! Humidity doesn't bother me. Do you think it would be better to register with several states before I go in case I want to travel or just stay in the one? I know it can take a long time so intend to get on it asap.

6. I love remote teaching not that I'm doing it at the moment. But I would caution new immigrants to be very careful with it as it takes a huge adjustment. The lack of good and services can be very confronting. The insular veiws in small communities can be challenging.
    There is nothing in the UK that compares to remote teaching in Australia. I have friends who have to catch a flight to Kalgorlie then drive 10 hr in a 4WD to get to their schools. That level of remoteness is hard for mors Australians to comprehend I hate to think how Brits go with it. A few years ago one of DET's imported 50 Scottish teachers and dumped them in the bush. I hope those teachers have had a wonderful time but I think I'm hoping.
    Brisbane is interesting a lot of Australians move there in early retirement. You may find it difficult to find work but I'm not from there so don't really know.. Anywhere on the coast you, will find a lot of competion for teaching jobs inland less so. Qld has a radical curriculum. You will really have to rethink how you teach to deal with it. Though anyone trained in the UK system will find our curriculums and how we are expected to teach quite different. This may change as we bring in the National curriculum.

7. Excuse the pun when I say I don't mean to rain on your parade, but Cains has recently been hit but the worst floods on record plus a very high level cylone. They are scrapping the mud of themselves and everything else and will continue to do so for many months if no years. Vast numbers of homes have been rendered unlivable. I think you will have great difficulty finding long term accomodation. For me if I did find accomodation I would be questioning which local is deprived of their home for me. On top of that there will be local teachers in need desparate need of work too to get themselves back on their feet.
    To be honnest going to Cairns would be equilent to working in Orkney or Sheland. Oh you are aware Cairn has a huge defence presence. Makes a night out interesting. I'm in a defence town so avoid nights out in certain areas.
    Rememeber the reef is several 100km off shore you won't but tripping off to the beach and a spot of reef driving. If you want that go to Ningaloo.
    I hope TRACER is better than the versions of it in the ACT and NSW. They are notorious unreliable on all levels. CRT here normally works that you get registered and approval to teach then make contact with the schools you are happy to work in. I usually took in my cv and approval documents then rang the staffing officer once a week or there about to find out if they wanted to book me. Eventually, it got to the point with one staffing officer that I would wander past their office at the end of the day and say "See you next week?" and they would say yes or no.

8. I'm sorry that you feel so badly about Cairns - the more I research it the more I really think it is the place to go! I have looked at the flooding situation and the residents out there all say it has not been hit - most of the flooding is 1000km south around Brisbane so Cairns is a much better prospect in that respect. I'm not sure about the defence thing - thanks for flagging it up. However, my friend went on holiday there and didn't mention it and I don't intend to be a big party animal - I am more of a 'nature' person which is why I am now thinking Cairns would be nicer, plus I have found a homeshare scheme there which would be bringing money to locals rather than depriving them of housing so in general I'm not worried about that.
    As for work, I guess I will just have to hope :( I have sent off lots of emails about CRT prospects but no replies yet. Worse comes to worse I guess I will have a nice holiday then find some work in Melbourne!

9. I am an Aussie currently working in China but I come from the Gold Coast. You need to be registered with the Queensland College of Teachers to be able to do any work in a Qld school but once the admin stuff is out of the way there should be a bit of work for you there. The climate is wonderful, not as cold as in the south eg Sydney nor as wet and tropical as in the far north like Cairns (although recent weather would suggest otherwise). The high schools I have taught at there are pretty good and I intend going back in July when my contract here expires. I will also do some supply work before moving away from the coast to some land I bought a few years back about 2 hrs away inland. I hope this helps.