1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Where to teach abroad.

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by staceyaki, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Im thinking of making a move. Hopefully not just a year away but a real move into teaching abroad. Id like any advise as to where is a good city/place/counrty to move too with respects to the overall package. Ie pay, standard of living, schools, social network of English speaking people :) etc. Also I have been teaching six years. Do other countries take this into account and if so will it be off putting to employ me if I cost more. I come from an outstanding infant school which I have taught at my whole career. Any feedback will be much appreciated. Thanks.

2. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

Depends on the salary scales schools are operating, but in most places you won't cost very much more - and good schools will want the best applicant, whatever the slight difference in salary. Six years' experience is just perfect - you've cut your teeth but are not set in your ways.
    if your references are equally outstanding you will have a great chance of being employed 'abroad'.
    It's impossible to give this kind of advice. Perhaps if we had just enjoyed two hours of well-lubricated conversation so as to form an idea of your proclivities... but as this forum reveals, every location has its fans and detractors. There are people working perfectly happily (and others totally miserably) in Nigeria, Colombia, Kuwait, China, Portugal...
    I'm not even sure which places offer the very best cash-n-perks 'packidge' these days - the forum needs a bright-eyed contributor with an up-to-date comprehensive spreadsheet. And even with such data in hand, much will depend on your age, commitments and lifestyle.
    A mixed blessing... he said, acerbically.

3. Thanks for all your advice. Where are you based?

4. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

British School of Ruritania.