1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Where to stay in Venice

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Doitforfree, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Lead commenter

I've never been to Italy before and we're lucky enough to be having four nights in Venice. But there are a million hotels and B&Bs, never mind self catering apartments and the like. I just don't know where to start, or how to choose between them. We're not looking for anywhere fancy particularly, and, although we'd rather not pay over the odds, money isn't too much of a problem as it's only four nights and it's a special trip for us. PLEASE can anyone point me to somewhere nice? My eyes are spinning from looking at places.

2. Doitforfree

I've never been to Italy before and we're lucky enough to be having four nights in Venice. But there are a million hotels and B&Bs, never mind self catering apartments and the like. I just don't know where to start, or how to choose between them. We're not looking for anywhere fancy particularly, and, although we'd rather not pay over the odds, money isn't too much of a problem as it's only four nights and it's a special trip for us. PLEASE can anyone point me to somewhere nice? My eyes are spinning from looking at places.

3. I would suggest you avoid St. Mark's Square and any other well known touristy places as the get incredibly busy. Venice is actually rather small and it's easy to walk round. We stayed in a lovely apartment in the Jewish Quater (can't remember the name). It was much cheaper, less crowded and there were some lovely places to eat.
    I'm sure you'll enjoy you'll have a wonderful time, Venice is amazing.

4. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

Anywhere but Mestre (which is not on the lagoon). It looks cheap but is not convenient for a 4 day stay.

5. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

Try looking on tripadvisor for recommendations.

6. OOOO lucky, lucky you! I was there last October and, after hours on Tripadviser, settled for the Ad Place (to the side of the Fenice). Absolutely great. As you have already noticed, there are so many to choose from but actually not too many really comfortable little places giving value for those precious euros. Look at the reviews - they say it all.

7. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Lead commenter

Mestre is (or at least was when I worked in the Veneto some years ago) the industrial area of Venice - on the mainland, as you say. It is a major crossroads for rail travel, but best passed through on the train, imo.
    If you find yourself wanting some variety after a day or two, I recommend taking the train inland: you are within easy travelling distance of some gems of the Veneto, in particular Padua and Vicenza. There is ( or used to be, but I doubt it has changed too much over the years,) a great Tuesday market in Padua (Padova). Vicenza is stunning (Palladio designed many of the buildings in the town) and boasts the oldest surviving enclosed theatre in the world, with the oldest surviving stage set. It is well worth a visit.

8. Doitforfree

That sounds nice. We want to get out of the city and Padua sounds interesting.

9. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

We stayed last November at the Best Western Hotel Ala in the San Marco area. We had a spacious room, good shower room and they serve a fantastic choice at breakfast so we really made a meal of it each morning.
    It's on a small square that connects easily with St Mark's square. We found it very convenient for everything we wanted to do.
    http://www.hotelala.it/
    We booked through a link from our budget airline website but it would be worth checking out direct bookings. Their website has a special offer of paying standard rate for 3 nights and getting 4th at half price.

10. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

As others have said, Venice is walkable, so pretty much anywhere will do. We first stayed in a waterfront hotel a little bit away from Piazza San Marco in the direction of the Arsenale. It served us well and made for an interesting breakfast, watching the ferry boats spilling American tourists from the cruise liners en masse onto the jetty like a geriatric version of 'Saving Private Ryan' (ie "Oh my God Elmer, we've been in that goddam ferry boat for a whole 15 minutes and I can't see a John anywhere").

In subsequent years we've stayed on the other side of the lagoon and got the morning ferry in from Punta Sabbioni. It's quite pleasant to end a hectic day's wandering around in the heat with a boat ride back to your accommodation, but for a first visit I think you should definitely stay in Venice itself to catch the evening and night-time atmosphere, especially in Piazza San Marco.

Take my deep envy as read - we've been there three times, loved it every time, and are already getting itchy feet for another trip. Make sure you have a good supply of spare camera batteries, and enjoy ;-)

11. Tripadvisor.
    If money isn't a problem then I'd suggest an apartment. It may even work out cheaper if there is a group of you. Stay away from central streets and squares as they will be noisy. If you're going in high season, try the Lido as its a bit quieter. I stayed in a lovely little B&B which was near St Mark's and very quiet (no TVs in the rooms) but it may not be fancy enough for you.