1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Where to next (life after the main scale)?

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by Bobble90, Jul 8, 2015.

1. What roles did people take on after several years of mainstream classroom work?

I'm about seven years in, with plenty of bottom set behaviour management experience, decent GCSE results, and have delivered pretty much all the A level and further A level maths options.

Obs are 2s or better, generally; mostly because I have a face made for radio which makes naughty students go quiet.

The problem (is it a problem?) is that the thought of a HOD post fills me with a heft dose of "would rather make my money up with a few hours a week of private tuition". That seems preferable to endless paperwork (I actually worry for my HOD, sending emails at 11:23pm and the like).

How about these new-fangled lead practitioner jobs? What do they generally entail? How endless is their endless paperwork?

There's a few of these openings floating about locally - perpetually so, which makes me think no one's applying. And, if that's true, there must be a reason for it....

2. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

I just carried on as a classroom teacher; same school; 20 odd years; never got itchy feet!

How about a different role alongside your teaching such as governor, union rep, ITT mentor etc?

3. After 30 yrs experience I am proud to be simply 2a KS 4 coordinator. Did not apply to be HOD when my HOD retired this year. Refuse KS 3 coordinator when it was offered last month. Life's too short, I still enjoy teaching, I mark 3 lots of exams in the summer and one in November. I resist all the new fangled approaches and just get on with what I know works for me. Why do you think there are so many vacancies for these posts. I can remember when a SOW was simply that, a list of the topics to be covered and a general order of approach. One side of A4 for each page. A dept development plan could be covered on 2 pages of A4. If that were still the case I may be tempted, until then forget it.

4. googolplex

googolplex Occasional commenter

OK, I'll put in a word for the other side...

Being a HoD is, by several furlongs, the most interesting and rewarding job I've ever had - and I've done several others including all the pastoral roles up to and including senior management.

I don't spend all evening pushing paper and, by contrast with the OP, if I had to, paperwork would be far more preferable to spending the evenings doing extra tuition - surely the worst sort of busman's holiday. It's the variety in the role - teaching, dealing with kids, managing the dept, personnel, parents, fending off SLT, etc. I couldn't go back to teaching a mainscale timetable - too many classes/too much lesson prep/marking, too little of anything else.

Each to their own...

5. Andrew Jeffrey

Andrew Jeffrey New commenter

Agree, Googolplex. For example, I did HoD for 7 years then DH for another 5, but then decided that I was so passionate about maths and spending too much time with reams of A4 so went into independent Maths CPD instead. I miss the decent level of maths but find the idea of how and why children do and don't learn maths in the first place just as fascinating, and given the great wealth of resources out there on the web I can indulge my inner mathematician from time to time as well.

Pros: There's no feeling in the world like being your own boss. This morning I walked my youngest child to work (unthinkable before), had coffee with my wife and checked out the forums. Also I get to travel, meet lots of great teachers, wonderful kids, and fascinating schools and countries, all of whom teach me something new.

Cons: potential insecurity (though my diary is full until the end of March so not a huge problem; if you work hard and get your name out there people will find you); leaving the teachers' pension scheme means that choosing this route isn't right for everyone; having to buy my own wine at Christmas is still a bit of a novelty; missing the camaraderie of a staffroom or strong department is a consideration.

Probably not the route you were thinking of but just wanted to put it out there as a 'future' option!