1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Where to go?

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by Rosylee, Jan 7, 2011.

  1. Have you had a look on the TDA website? www.hlta.gov.uk
    This shows you what HLTA standards you will need to meet and gain evidence for. You may also like to research some education laws and policies such those based on SEN. Be aware of child protection and health and safety records. Record any pupil racist, sexist,social exclusion and behavioural incidents you may deal with. Write down what happened and how you dealt with them. If you have any home/school correspondence then photocopy them as potential evidence. You have to show how you have enhanced pupil learning so 'before and after' evidence of pupil work is useful. See if you can perhaps accompany some pupils on an out of school trip/event. If you help with the classroom environment, such as displays etc, take photos of your work. Like wise with any resources you may make. Also photocopy any performance management documents.
    Be aware though, that when you undertake the HLTA training the tutors may ask for recent evidence (within the last year/18 months of starting the course) but will except some later dated evidence if you are struggling to meet criteria.
    Good luck!

  2. taitie

    taitie New commenter

    I have recently passed my HLTA and one of things that helped me the most was this site
    have a look and join they are brilliant at answering any questions and worries you have.

    Good luck with it.

  3. hubcap

    hubcap New commenter

    If you have to wait another year why not do the foundation degree? You will get a level 4 qualification after the first year and you can carry on if you wish and get level 5? (foundation degree is part time over 3 years). Then after that one year for teacher training and BA and you are a qualifies teacher. Just a thought.
  4. rolls

    rolls Occasional commenter

    Staff should be aware that funding for HLTA courses will soon be ending as part of the governments reorganisation of education funding. Although this does not mean that all courses will necessarily end many colleges will no doubt rethink their provison of what was never a formal qualification. Moreover, LAs and schools are unlikely to have the funding to send staff on courses and their are generally not mechanisms in place for self funding on these courses. Given this a foundation degree is probably a better and a better investment in the long run.

Share This Page